I need to be able to set up a general member without account change privs.

Started by wakewatcher, April 24, 2010, 01:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakewatcher

I've got an smf site used for multiple sports teams. Each team has its own private boards etc.  Rather than having individual players have an membership there is one team membership. (All coaches have their own memberships.) The problem is that any of the players can go in and edit the account to change the password etc.  I would like a way that doesn't allow this.  Is it possible to do this with a membergroup? The challenge is that I don't want this membergroup to override the other groups that allow them to see just their boards.  Or can this be done with some hidden custom profile field (or something) that can be set on each account that authorizes or denies access to modify account information.
-thx-
smf 2.0.18

Kill Em All

Under each membergroup permissions, look for "Member Profiles" you can allow and deny access to certain things there.

You can't deny them from changing their own passwords because I think it would stop the function of forgetting their password and sending out a new one possibly.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

wakewatcher

That's the issue.  It really isn't any one (persons) membership.  Its a second account for the team that is associated with a (second) email address of the coach.  It doesn't matter if they click the "forgot your password" link because the reset gets sent to the actual owner so it doesn't change.  I just don't want them to be able to edit this general account.  My kludge approach would be to add a profile field in each account (not editable by the owner) and then find the php code that allows access to the account change stuff and if that profile field is set for denial then somehow not show the change link or something.  Surely someone other than me has seen a need for a general membership that should be protected from changing except by the administrator.  I'll keep thinking about it.
smf 2.0.18

Arantor

1. Admin > Permissions > Settings > Enable deny permissions.
2. Admin > Membergroups > Create new membergroup > call it 'Cannot change settings'
3. The only permission this group should have is *DENY* changing account settings, though for good measure you can disable changing any profile details.
4. Go to the account(s) you want this applied to, and in their account settings, add 'Cannot change settings' as an additional membergroup.

wakewatcher

PERFECT Thanks.  (But this all makes my head spin. Took me 15 minutes to figure out where to modify the permissions.  :) )
smf 2.0.18

Kill Em All

haha, you will get used to it.
I am going to mark the topic solved, please feel free to unmark it solved if you have further questions. :)

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Advertisement: