News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

'Moderate' tab available for everyone

Started by JasonO, April 25, 2010, 10:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonO

Hi,

I've got a forum I upgraded from SMF 1.1.11 to SMF 2 RC3 and during that upgrade all the forum permissions got messed up.

I managed to fix most of them, however all regular members are given the 'Moderate' tab at the top of the forum and have full access within it.

This is the following things I have done to try and locate the problem

• Disabled all mods - problem still exists
  • Tried default SMF theme - problem still exists
  • Registered fresh user - problem exists with that account too
  • Gone through the permissions too many times - can't find a solution

Can anyone spot an obvious mistake? I've posted my permissions for the Regular Members group below. There must be something obvious that I've missed.

Thanks for your help,
Jason

kyleL

Make sure their permissions profile is that of Members, not Moderators.

Quote from: confusion on April 14, 2010, 07:53:48 AM
I can't let the irony pass by unchallenged...  You are looking to have a forum where you host cracked software - which is a willful violation of the license agreement for that software, and yet you are concerned about the subtleties of the SMF license to ensure you don't stray from it?

My Site: Thought For Food Come on down!

Chas Large

If you go to your new users profile and select Show Permissions, you can see where the moderation permission is derived from.

Also, back in the General Permissions window, select CLASSIC VIEW, it may reveal a setting that may not be visible in standard view.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

JasonO

Thanks for the replies. Greatly appreciated.

Quote from: Sakora1 on April 25, 2010, 11:07:41 AM
Make sure their permissions profile is that of Members, not Moderators.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this, sorry. The permissions I posted in the image are that of Regular Members. The default group made by SMF for normal users. Is that what you meant?

Quote from: Chas Large on April 25, 2010, 11:08:06 AM
If you go to your new users profile and select Show Permissions, you can see where the moderation permission is derived from.

I had a look and all the permissions say "Given by: Regular Members".

Quote from: Chas Large on April 25, 2010, 11:08:06 AM
Also, back in the General Permissions window, select CLASSIC VIEW, it may reveal a setting that may not be visible in standard view.

There is nothing there which struck me as being out of place. All moderating based permissions are disallowed.

This is really beginning to puzzle me now.

Thanks for your help,
Jason

kat

From "Given by: Regular Members", logic says "Check the permissions that Regular Members have.

JasonO

Quote from: Kat on April 25, 2010, 04:49:08 PM
From "Given by: Regular Members", logic says "Check the permissions that Regular Members have.

Do you see the image in the first post? That is all the moderating permissions I can see, and I've checked using Classic and Simple mode. I know it has to be some kind of permissions error but there is nothing there that would relate as to why all members can see this menu. I understand the permissions is the most obvious answer, and I agree thats what it has to be. However, I can't see which permission is causing it to appear.

I've had someone else look over the permissions and they've found nothing that would seem to cause the menu to appear either.

kat

You misunderstand me.

Do you have board moderators?

Not a membergroup that you set up. One that you set by going to Admin>Boards>Modify.

On that page, you'll see who that board's moderators are.

If it's bank, it has no moderators.

Sure, Global Mods, or whoever have the permissions can moderate. But, they're not moderators.

Do you see what I mean?

JasonO

Oh, I see. Sorry.

I do have some individual members as board moderators, but no groups set as moderators for a board (is that even possible?). Even with a freshly registered user they'll have access to the Moderate panel without chaning any further settings for them.

If any of the staff wish to look into it further I will be happy to setup an Administrator account for you.

kat

Well, if you PM me the details, I'll have a look.

It dead easy, though.

Just go to that page I mentioned and add whoever you want as a moderator. You can add more than one, if you want to.

Have a go.

If you really can't figure it out, we'll arrange a time when we can both be on your forum and we'll go through it, together.

How does that sound?

I'm off to bed, now, coz it's nearly 23:00, here.

Let me know how it goes. If you need that help, just send me a message, OK?

JasonO

Thanks, PM sent.

I'll continue scratching my head for another hour or so.

Chas Large

Looking back at your permissions display it would seem you have the setting to Enable the option to deny permissions set under Members > Permissions > Settings.

If you disable this option, the list of permissions becomes just check boxes for Enable/Disable of the individual permission, this may enlighten you better as to where the permission is given.

Whilst I agree with what Kat has said, that you can make anyone a moderator without changing their member group, just by adding their name to a board's Moderator list, it does not explain why a new member becomes an instant moderator.

* Chas Large thinks Kat is really a Dog and is barking up the wrong tree

If you could post a link to your site Jason, I'll sign up and see what permissions I get.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

kat

All sorted.

Permissions were set to "X", instead of "D".

Not entirely clear, that section, really.

Hope all's well. :)

JasonO

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I misunderstood the permissions then.

I thought 'X' was the same as 'D', however 'D' would overide any other group that allowed the permission for example.

So if a group allowed editing calendar events, another group with D would overide that and then deny it (if the member was part of that group too), where as X would only disallow it but not overide other group permissions.

So would that not deny those permissions for anyone in a Moderator group for example?

Jakob Fel

I had this same issue with a forum that I joined. However, it shows both Moderate and Admin. I may have to send her a PM telling her about it.
Freelance writer and advocate for security, privacy & DRM-free distribution
Support and Community Management at SMFNew Free Forum Hosting

kat

Quote from: JasonO on April 26, 2010, 11:24:05 AM
Thanks for your help.
Pleasure, Jason. :)

I have to say that I've not really looked at permissions, at all, in SMF v2.x.

It's not terribly clear, is it? It's all very well putting X's and D's all over the place. But, if there's no explanation of what they're telling you, it's pretty pointless, innit?

JasonO

Yeah it could do with explaining a bit, in my opinion.

Again, thanks for your help. Now I just have to find out why the cookies aren't working to keep people logged in!

Solved!

kat

Have you tried renaming the cookie and/or changing it's length (Duration)?

Admin>Server settings.

JasonO

Yeah, I've tried it in different browsers, on different computers, chaning the cookie name, clearing all cookies and everyone still has the same problem that it doesn't remember the login.

kat

In the same place, try it with "Enable local storage of cookies" UNchecked and "Use subdomain independent cookies" checked.

If they're already set that way, try reversing them.

Advertisement: