News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Post PM

Started by hadesflames, April 25, 2010, 01:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hadesflames

Link to Mod

Package Information

Latest Version: 1.0.6
Created by: hadesflames
Built for: SMF 2.0 and SMF 1.1.12
Package: Post PM
Special Thanks to: tyty1234 for helping me with the $config_vars in SMF 1.1.

What is this?

This modification adds a setting in Admin > Configuration > Features and Options > Basic Features at the bottom (SMF 1.1) or Admin > Configuration > Modification Settings... > Post PM (SMF 2.0) where you can enable the mod, and enter the board id of the board you want the pm topics to be posted in, as well as the user id and user name of the account that will be the poster, and this will also be the account that will post pms sent to it. This mod does NOT remove pm functionality for the account.

This mod is basically like the SMF Customization Team account here on SM.org ;)

Alteration Log

Version 1.0.6
[!] Removed the file edit to PersonalMessage.php in favor of an integration hook.

Version 1.0.5
[!] Fixed minor bug.
[!] Confirmed working with 2.0.11

Version 1.0.4
[!] Updated mod to remove all but one file edit. The file edit to PersonalMessage.php is absolutely necessary, and can not be moved elsewhere. The modification is a must.
[!] Confirmed working with 2.0.10

Version 1.0.3
[!] Fixed security issue - March 1, 2015
[!] Fixed installer - March 1, 2015

Version 1.0.2

[!] Confirmed working with SMF 2.0.2 - June 23, 2012
[!] Confirmed working with SMF 2.0 - June 13, 2011
[!] Option to allow automatic posts to count towards a user's post count.

Version 1.0.1

[!] Confirmed works with 2.0 RC5 - February 11, 2011
[!] Confirmed works with 2.0 RC4 - February 7th, 2011
[!] Dropped SMF 1.1.X support - February 7th, 2011

Version 1.0

[!] Legacy version. Will only support SMF 1.1.X If it ceases to work in some version of 1.1.X then it will be completely dropped from the 1.1 line - February 7th, 2011
[!] Confirmed works with 2.0 RC3 and 1.1.11 - April 02, 2010
[!] Released on April 02, 2010.
[!] Dropped completely - March 1, 2015

Need Help?

If you need help with this modification, please don't hesitate to post in the support thread.

Arantor

Nice mod. It isn't *quite* the same as the SMF Cust Team account functionality, but very similar.

hadesflames

Well, I wouldn't know, but I did what I could =P

Thanks though =]

Arantor

I'd argue it's probably better in some ways. From what I remember, the Cust Team PM system was set up so that general PMs were funnelled into a single topic as replies, requiring them to be split off and dealt with, or if they named the name of a mod, to be added to the mod's internal discussion topic.

At least, that's how it was a bit back, simple but workable on a number of grounds (I hope I'm not sharing SEKRIT TECKNIKAL SEKRITS here, though really there's not a more practical manner to do it)

hadesflames

I did this in a couple of minutes. Found the easiest way to do it, did it, and there you have it =P

Arantor

*nods* Just gotta be careful who has access to the board...

~DS~

Nice mod, what you say you would use it for? Reporting and such? We have that "report to mod" feature.
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

hadesflames

No...It's useful mainly when someone needs to ask the general team something, outside of the public. They pm to that account, and it gets posted in a board that only the team can see. That way, the team can discuss it if need be, then answer back.

Shole

And i thought its some silly mod but its actualy like a private board(like in VB) nice work

~DS~

I decided to install this...I am not sure but the link to profile didn't break the line after a PM message...
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."

hadesflames

Quote from: Shole on April 30, 2010, 04:49:21 PM
And i thought its some silly mod but its actualy like a private board(like in VB) nice work

Thanks =]

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on April 30, 2010, 05:33:12 PM
I decided to install this...I am not sure but the link to profile didn't break the line after a PM message...

I may have left out a break somewhere, is this in 1.1 or 2.0?

~DS~

Quote from: hadesflames on May 01, 2010, 01:17:09 PM
Quote from: Shole on April 30, 2010, 04:49:21 PM

Thanks =]

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on April 30, 2010, 05:33:12 PM

I may have left out a break somewhere, is this in 1.1 or 2.0?
2.0 RC3  :)

hadesflames

Nope, the breaks are there, I think I left it out at some point, and just upped a new one to the mod site. If you uninstall it, and re-install with a fresh one from the mod site, does it work?

~DS~

I tested in my localhost, seem fine. In my live site it seem a mod is causing this.

removed mods...

Something's causing bad post.

hadesflames

Dunno what to tell yah cept I might be suspicious of that multi quote mod...

~DS~

Quote from: hadesflames on May 02, 2010, 01:37:58 PM
Dunno what to tell yah cept I might be suspicious of that multi quote mod...
Nothing. Tried on localhost, seem fine together. It look like the <br> tags is missing somewhere in the file. What file may causing this so I can take a look?

hadesflames

It's actually not a <br /> tag, it's a
 bbcode, and there are two, both are there.

~DS~

Quote from: hadesflames on May 02, 2010, 09:04:49 PM
^_^', I uh..... ^_^';
The br tag was unchecked....so I enabled it. I am sorry about all this posting.  ;D

lucas-ruroken

Nice work hadesflames ^^
Adk Portal 3.1 is coming....

Design your universe!

hadesflames

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on May 02, 2010, 09:14:39 PM
Quote from: hadesflames on May 02, 2010, 09:04:49 PM
^_^', I uh..... ^_^';
The br tag was unchecked....so I enabled it. I am sorry about all this posting.  ;D

lol XD

At least it works now ^_^

Quote from: lucas-ruroken on May 02, 2010, 11:05:43 PM
Nice work hadesflames ^^

Thanks, keep your eyes peeled for my next mod, it should be interesting =]

lucas-ruroken

QuoteThanks, keep your eyes peeled for my next mod, it should be interesting =]

Ok ok :P

Greetings
Adk Portal 3.1 is coming....

Design your universe!

luuuciano

Hi! nice mod, Im using it to see when someone writes something to the "superadmin" that I do not use too often

btw, wich is the use of "Enter the user name for the account you want to post pms" ?

because I do not fully understand it... I have tried adding the superadmin name there... or any other "name".... and nothing changed (sending test PM to it)
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

hadesflames

You only need to put the name of the account you're using the mod with, it's to fill out a parameter in the post function, it's not really too important besides that. The name will always be that of the user name associated with the user id you put.

mirahalo

nice mod ;)  a suggestion, could this:

Link To Sender\'s Profile

in  /Sources/PersonalMessage.php    can be changed to a text string?   something like:  $txt['post_pm_sender_link']  ?

could be useful ;)

greetings.

4b11l

Hello,

I am also having a hard time trying to understand this mod also. If you can explain it more clearly, I think it'd help.

So if a list of ID's is entered in the settings, all PM's sent and received by those member ID's will post to a private board?

admirable

From my end it has great work done.
My Website| JA Technologies
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Do hard work, one day you will be awarded for that!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

mirahalo

Quote from: 4b11l on June 10, 2010, 06:09:47 PM
Hello,

I am also having a hard time trying to understand this mod also. If you can explain it more clearly, I think it'd help.

So if a list of Id's is entered in the settings, all PM's sent and received by those member ID's will post to a private board?

not necessarily to a private board, could be any board, you have to set that board as private, admins only or whatever.

you put an ID  4 for example in the settings,   then the user with ID 4, whenever this user receive a pm,  this mod will create a post in a board you specify in the settings, meaning all the pm that this user gets after the installation of this mod will be posted on that board.

4b11l

Quote from: 130860 on June 11, 2010, 12:25:07 PM
Quote from: 4b11l on June 10, 2010, 06:09:47 PM
Hello,

So if a list of Id's is entered in the settings, all PM's sent and received by those member ID's will post to a private board?

not necessarily to a private board, could be any board, you have to set that board as private, admins only or whatever.

you put an ID  4 for example in the settings,   then the user with ID 4, whenever this user receive a pm,  this mod will create a post in a board you specify in the settings, meaning all the pm that this user gets after the installation of this mod will be posted on that board.

I see, thanks for the clarification. Is this possible to go the other way around? When the member ID listed sends a message; that message get's posted? Also, is it able to list multiple ID's?

mirahalo

it can be done, but this mod doesn't do that.

you have to check if support for multiple ID, I haven't tested yet, try using with a comma,  1,2,3,4  etc.

4b11l

Quote from: 130860 on June 11, 2010, 03:26:34 PM
it can be done, but this mod doesn't do that.

you have to check if support for multiple ID, I haven't tested yet, try using with a comma,  1,2,3,4  etc.

That is unfortunate! Ah, I have been searching for a mod like this and thought this would be the one. I basically need it because of vendors trying to advertise through PM's. I have no way of tracking this so I thought this would be the perfect mod.

Well, I hope the mod author can add this feature or if anyone can show me how to mod it, that would be great. Will continue to check back.

mirahalo

if you have problems with spam in PMS, I recommend that tell your users to use the report to moderator option in their pm, also, you can add those spammers to a group and setup the permissions of that group so they cannot send PMS

4b11l

Quote from: 130860 on June 11, 2010, 03:44:42 PM
if you have problems with spam in PMS, I recommend that tell your users to use the report to moderator option in their pm, also, you can add those spammers to a group and setup the permissions of that group so they cannot send PMS

I do have those options enabled and it's not a matter of the vendor just spamming, but advertising. Here is a scenario; the vendor see's some of our sponsors advertising products and they have the same products at a more competitive price. However, they are not a sponsor so they can not advertise. They see the members who are interested and PM's them. The member of course would like a better deal and the report to admin is thus, ineffective. There is no way to track this and of the one or two who may report it, the vendor may of gotten away with 20-30 sales already.

luuuciano

so... you want to violate members privacy to avoid that?
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

4b11l

Quote from: luuuciano on June 11, 2010, 04:17:55 PM
so... you want to violate members privacy to avoid that?

No I don't, that's what my assumption of this mod was, that's why I'm asking to clarify what the mod's purpose is.

hadesflames

Sorry I haven't checked around.

I will not add such a feature to my mod as that is in my opinion a violation of user privacy. This mod is intended to be used so that members can contact staff of a site all in one PM to make life easier for staff and users. Not to monitor private messages. I will also not explain how it would be possible to obtain the feature you are looking for, as this would be just as good as me throwing it in the mod.

Also, thanks for explaining my mod and its use for me 130860, it is much appreciated =]

Cal O'Shaw

I saw this MOD is no longer supported (which is sad, as it's been really great for us to give our members a way to contact us without having to know the names of every member of the team or try to use the RTM or RTA links.

What we had hoped we could do was also use it as a way to document PMs sent by the Admin Team where we needed to keep a copy for official purposes.  We had hoped we could use the "Bcc": option when sending a PM, but that does not seem to forward the PM to the board.

Is there any way to be able to get that ability?

Grazie,

Cal

hadesflames

Sure, just open install.xml (if you're in SMF 2.0) look for this:

if(isset($modSettings['post_pm']) && !empty($modSettings['post_pm']) && array_intersect($recipientList['to'], array($modSettings['post_pm_user_id'])))

replace it with this:

if(isset($modSettings['post_pm']) && !empty($modSettings['post_pm']) && array_intersect(array_merge($recipientList['to'], $recipientList['bcc']), array($modSettings['post_pm_user_id'])))

If you're in SMF 1.1 then open install_1.1.xml and look for this:

if(isset($modSettings['post_pm']) && !empty($modSettings['post_pm']) && array_intersect($recipients['to'], array($modSettings['post_pm_user_id'])))

replace it with this:

if(isset($modSettings['post_pm']) && !empty($modSettings['post_pm']) && array_intersect(array_merge($recipients['to'], $recipients['bcc']), array($modSettings['post_pm_user_id'])))

Cal O'Shaw

Great!  Grazie!

Sorry things didn't work out to where you could continue to support this, as you write some really good stuff.

Again, many thanks!

Cal

hadesflames

I'm glad you like my work =]

If you want to see my latest and greatest, keep your eyes peeled to arantormods.com ;)

hadesflames

Rasyr

I am sorry, but did I read this correctly?

The way it sounds is that you could basically set it up to that it copied all PMs to and from a user called "Fred" to a specific (possibly hidden) board, and that the user "Fred" would have no idea that this is happening if they did not have access to that forum. That they are not sent any sort of notification about it.

I don't think that I like the idea of a mod that allows for spying on a member's PMs in such a fashion.

luuuciano

A knife can kill, or save a life

Rasyr

The SMF Team have always been against mods that allow for spying on a person's PMs. It appears to me that this allows just that.

live627

Quote from: Rasyr on April 30, 2011, 12:25:27 AM
The SMF Team have always been against mods that allow for spying on a person's PMs. It appears to me that this allows just that.
but that's not the point. You'd associate it with an account where you want multiple people to see messages sent, much like the SMF Customization Team account here.

Baby Daisy

What this mod does is interesting, to say the least. I've never seen something like this before, the concept behind it though is rather simple.

For example, you can have an account on your forums named "Admin", and have that as your sole administrator while you, yourself, use a regular member account and participate in your community as normal. Now, when members send PMs to the "admin" account, instead of sending them to you or instead of you having to login as that admin account to read them, all those PMs are posted in a private staff board that only you and trusted people that you allow can view them. When a reply is made in the topic, a response PM is sent back, but as "admin". It allows communication as staff through the private message system.

If anything, it gives you more privacy.
あなたは私のお尻にキスするとき、私はそれを愛する

luuuciano

That is the way I use it... its annoying to go admin to do changes a month latest login and have 30 pm.... that way you will see it with your regular user, and go admin if you need too

Rasyr

Quote from: Baby Moonview Daisy on April 30, 2011, 02:00:47 AM
For example, you can have an account on your forums named "Admin", and have that as your sole administrator while you, yourself, use a regular member account and participate in your community as normal. Now, when members send PMs to the "admin" account, instead of sending them to you or instead of you having to login as that admin account to read them, all those PMs are posted in a private staff board that only you and trusted people that you allow can view them. When a reply is made in the topic, a response PM is sent back, but as "admin". It allows communication as staff through the private message system.

Ok, now turn this around. Say you are the admin and you have a forum member that you want to keep tabs on and /or find a reason for banning (and you have no actual reason to do so). By setting this to that forum member's account, you have just set it up to spy on him without his knowledge. A major invasion of his privacy. It also allows the admin to "fake" PMs back to people as well.

This is very dangerous and could be easily abused by the unscrupulous.

One way to make sure that this is not abused is to require that the account being used must be one of the accounts who can see the forum in which the PMs are posted. That way, it could not be used to spy on people without their knowledge.

Spoogs

Quote from: Rasyr on April 30, 2011, 06:49:31 AM

The unscrupulous would just as easily code their own to spy on everyone anyway if that's what they're intent is (or have someone code it for them if they can'd do it themselves). This mod does exactly what is was created to do and is used by many for just that purpose. For those who choose to use it for spying, well that their intent and there isn't a single thing anyone can do about another person's intent.

Antechinus

Actually I like Rasyr's suggestion. Most admins wouldn't use the mod for spying, but I can see the point here. If the mod author could change the code to incorporate that safeguard I wouldn't have any concerns.

hadesflames

Quote from: Spoogs on April 30, 2011, 08:12:12 AM
Quote from: Rasyr on April 30, 2011, 06:49:31 AM

The unscrupulous would just as easily code their own to spy on everyone anyway if that's what they're intent is (or have someone code it for them if they can'd do it themselves). This mod does exactly what is was created to do and is used by many for just that purpose. For those who choose to use it for spying, well that their intent and there isn't a single thing anyone can do about another person's intent.

I agree...All my mod does is save a malicious admin some time. On top of that, this mod does not have functionality to let you reply to the pm, unless you can get into that user's account. If you're able to do that, then you really don't need this mod to spy on the user.

In any case, this mod was intended to help an admin with his daily on goings. I use it myself on my personal site in the proper way, the way I designed it for. It certainly has made mine, and my staff's life easier. I feel my mod accomplishes the goal that I set it out to accomplish, and so it requires no change in functionality as far as I'm concerned. On top of that, if you really wanted to, you can easily hire someone to do something even more advanced to spy on even more members for as little as $10. It's not exactly hard...

EDIT:

On top of all that, an admin that wants to spy on their user might even have a privacy clause in the user agreement on registration granting him the user's permission to do so, or simply taking the user's ownership of the pms or something along those lines anyway.

yakyakyak

changelog says v1.0 works with RC3 however v1 does not parse for RC3

can anyone share a version for RC3

thanks

hadesflames

You should not be using SMF 2.0 RC3, there have been TOO MANY security fixes added to SMF between RC3 and gold. Being on RC3 at this time is a risk, and certainly not a wise idea. I refuse to help you endanger yourself, your site, and your members by helping you to install my mod on RC3, and I suggest that everyone do the same, for his own sake.

In any case, I specifically stated that the 1.0 version will be a legacy version to support 1.1, and will not be supported. It will not install on RC3 because 1.0 is for SMF 1.1.X only.

hadesflames

Updated, all users of this mod should update the mod immediately.

maloneya121

Not working in 2.0.9 ...... help please

Bigguy

More info might help the mod author help you.

maloneya121

Type   Action   Description
*   1.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/Admin.php   Test failed
   1.   Add After   ./Sources/Admin.php   Test failed
*   2.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/ManageSettings.php   Test successful
*   3.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/PersonalMessage.php   Test failed
   1.   Replace   ./Sources/PersonalMessage.php   Test failed
*   4.   Execute Modification   ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php   Test successful

hadesflames

Updated to 1.0.4.

This update removes all but one file edit. The remaining file edit is to PersonalMessage.php. This file edit is absolutely necessary and can not be removed or moved else where.

Quote from: maloneya121 on April 24, 2015, 04:29:02 PM

Type   Action   Description
*   1.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/Admin.php   Test failed
   1.   Add After   ./Sources/Admin.php   Test failed
*   2.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/ManageSettings.php   Test successful
*   3.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/PersonalMessage.php   Test failed
   1.   Replace   ./Sources/PersonalMessage.php   Test failed
*   4.   Execute Modification   ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php   Test successful

Try version 1.0.4. It should fix all of those except the fail to ./Sources/PersonalMessage.php. This is an issue where some other mod you have installed is conflicting with the edit my mod wants to make. On a clean install of both 2.0.9 and 2.0.10, the modification works just fine.

Advertisement: