News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Post PM

Started by hadesflames, April 25, 2010, 01:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hadesflames

Rasyr

I am sorry, but did I read this correctly?

The way it sounds is that you could basically set it up to that it copied all PMs to and from a user called "Fred" to a specific (possibly hidden) board, and that the user "Fred" would have no idea that this is happening if they did not have access to that forum. That they are not sent any sort of notification about it.

I don't think that I like the idea of a mod that allows for spying on a member's PMs in such a fashion.

luuuciano

A knife can kill, or save a life
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

Rasyr

The SMF Team have always been against mods that allow for spying on a person's PMs. It appears to me that this allows just that.

live627

Quote from: Rasyr on April 30, 2011, 12:25:27 AM
The SMF Team have always been against mods that allow for spying on a person's PMs. It appears to me that this allows just that.
but that's not the point. You'd associate it with an account where you want multiple people to see messages sent, much like the SMF Customization Team account here.

Baby Daisy

What this mod does is interesting, to say the least. I've never seen something like this before, the concept behind it though is rather simple.

For example, you can have an account on your forums named "Admin", and have that as your sole administrator while you, yourself, use a regular member account and participate in your community as normal. Now, when members send PMs to the "admin" account, instead of sending them to you or instead of you having to login as that admin account to read them, all those PMs are posted in a private staff board that only you and trusted people that you allow can view them. When a reply is made in the topic, a response PM is sent back, but as "admin". It allows communication as staff through the private message system.

If anything, it gives you more privacy.
あなたは私のお尻にキスするとき、私はそれを愛する

luuuciano

That is the way I use it... its annoying to go admin to do changes a month latest login and have 30 pm.... that way you will see it with your regular user, and go admin if you need too
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

Rasyr

Quote from: Baby Moonview Daisy on April 30, 2011, 02:00:47 AM
For example, you can have an account on your forums named "Admin", and have that as your sole administrator while you, yourself, use a regular member account and participate in your community as normal. Now, when members send PMs to the "admin" account, instead of sending them to you or instead of you having to login as that admin account to read them, all those PMs are posted in a private staff board that only you and trusted people that you allow can view them. When a reply is made in the topic, a response PM is sent back, but as "admin". It allows communication as staff through the private message system.

Ok, now turn this around. Say you are the admin and you have a forum member that you want to keep tabs on and /or find a reason for banning (and you have no actual reason to do so). By setting this to that forum member's account, you have just set it up to spy on him without his knowledge. A major invasion of his privacy. It also allows the admin to "fake" PMs back to people as well.

This is very dangerous and could be easily abused by the unscrupulous.

One way to make sure that this is not abused is to require that the account being used must be one of the accounts who can see the forum in which the PMs are posted. That way, it could not be used to spy on people without their knowledge.

Spoogs

Quote from: Rasyr on April 30, 2011, 06:49:31 AM

The unscrupulous would just as easily code their own to spy on everyone anyway if that's what they're intent is (or have someone code it for them if they can'd do it themselves). This mod does exactly what is was created to do and is used by many for just that purpose. For those who choose to use it for spying, well that their intent and there isn't a single thing anyone can do about another person's intent.

Antechinus

Actually I like Rasyr's suggestion. Most admins wouldn't use the mod for spying, but I can see the point here. If the mod author could change the code to incorporate that safeguard I wouldn't have any concerns.

hadesflames

Quote from: Spoogs on April 30, 2011, 08:12:12 AM
Quote from: Rasyr on April 30, 2011, 06:49:31 AM

The unscrupulous would just as easily code their own to spy on everyone anyway if that's what they're intent is (or have someone code it for them if they can'd do it themselves). This mod does exactly what is was created to do and is used by many for just that purpose. For those who choose to use it for spying, well that their intent and there isn't a single thing anyone can do about another person's intent.

I agree...All my mod does is save a malicious admin some time. On top of that, this mod does not have functionality to let you reply to the pm, unless you can get into that user's account. If you're able to do that, then you really don't need this mod to spy on the user.

In any case, this mod was intended to help an admin with his daily on goings. I use it myself on my personal site in the proper way, the way I designed it for. It certainly has made mine, and my staff's life easier. I feel my mod accomplishes the goal that I set it out to accomplish, and so it requires no change in functionality as far as I'm concerned. On top of that, if you really wanted to, you can easily hire someone to do something even more advanced to spy on even more members for as little as $10. It's not exactly hard...

EDIT:

On top of all that, an admin that wants to spy on their user might even have a privacy clause in the user agreement on registration granting him the user's permission to do so, or simply taking the user's ownership of the pms or something along those lines anyway.

yakyakyak

changelog says v1.0 works with RC3 however v1 does not parse for RC3

can anyone share a version for RC3

thanks

hadesflames

You should not be using SMF 2.0 RC3, there have been TOO MANY security fixes added to SMF between RC3 and gold. Being on RC3 at this time is a risk, and certainly not a wise idea. I refuse to help you endanger yourself, your site, and your members by helping you to install my mod on RC3, and I suggest that everyone do the same, for his own sake.

In any case, I specifically stated that the 1.0 version will be a legacy version to support 1.1, and will not be supported. It will not install on RC3 because 1.0 is for SMF 1.1.X only.

hadesflames

Updated, all users of this mod should update the mod immediately.

maloneya121

Not working in 2.0.9 ...... help please

Bigguy

More info might help the mod author help you.

maloneya121

Type   Action   Description
*   1.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/Admin.php   Test failed
   1.   Add After   ./Sources/Admin.php   Test failed
*   2.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/ManageSettings.php   Test successful
*   3.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/PersonalMessage.php   Test failed
   1.   Replace   ./Sources/PersonalMessage.php   Test failed
*   4.   Execute Modification   ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php   Test successful

hadesflames

Updated to 1.0.4.

This update removes all but one file edit. The remaining file edit is to PersonalMessage.php. This file edit is absolutely necessary and can not be removed or moved else where.

Quote from: maloneya121 on April 24, 2015, 04:29:02 PM

Type   Action   Description
*   1.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/Admin.php   Test failed
   1.   Add After   ./Sources/Admin.php   Test failed
*   2.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/ManageSettings.php   Test successful
*   3.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/PersonalMessage.php   Test failed
   1.   Replace   ./Sources/PersonalMessage.php   Test failed
*   4.   Execute Modification   ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php   Test successful

Try version 1.0.4. It should fix all of those except the fail to ./Sources/PersonalMessage.php. This is an issue where some other mod you have installed is conflicting with the edit my mod wants to make. On a clean install of both 2.0.9 and 2.0.10, the modification works just fine.

Advertisement: