News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Database doubled in size after upgrade

Started by css_script_writer, April 27, 2010, 05:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

css_script_writer

Hi everyone

Recently, the SMF forum on our site was upgraded from v1.1.11 to v2.0 RC3. While the upgrade went very smoothly and everything works beyond expectations (very impressive!) I noticed that the size of the SQL database suddenly jumped from about 170MB to 350MB in size. During the actual upgrade, we were asked if we wanted to back up a copy of the "old site". We did selected this option.

In PHPMyAdmin, I can see a large number of "backup_smf_" tables. Is this where the "old site" went during the upgrade or is this something else?. Is it safe to remove these or is there something else I can do that will shrink the database back down a little bit?. I really just want to get rid of the "old site" that was created during the upgrade while leaving everything else (including the regular "backup" tables that were there before the upgrade) intact.

I'm not an SQL wizard so please go easy on me with the technical jargon and thanks in advance for any assistance on this. Great job people. This new software really looks good :) .

- Thank's again, CSS_Script_Writer
Anxiety Zone Forums & Chat Rooms
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php

Liam.

Generally, the backup_ tables are the old versions of the database incase something goes wrong. It's usually best to keep them there for a while until you're sure everything is properly upgraded.

However, if you go into phpMyAdmin, you could go to each individual table and "Drop" them, or select all of them on the main database page, through the checkboxes, then one of the options at the bottom is "Drop Tables".

razor_edge

If you worried about it just backup everything (which is a good idea anyway) and dump the backup on to your PC somewhere. Then go ahead and dump your current backups. Always, always a good idea to have backups even when you think you don't need 'em.

Liam.

Quote from: razor_edge on April 27, 2010, 05:51:40 PM
If you worried about it just backup everything (which is a good idea anyway) and dump the backup on to your PC somewhere. Then go ahead and dump your current backups. Always, always a good idea to have backups even when you think you don't need 'em.

Since he has access to phpMyAdmin, seems a bit stupid to delete the backups locally...

But a good point still, make sure to keep your backuped version just incase ;)

css_script_writer

So many good responses in a short period...Thanks!.

Liam.

That's the SMF forums for you ;) Say if it works or not ;)

css_script_writer

Well, I haven't dropped any backup tables just yet but that will probably be an option soon since the DB has become a bit more bloated since the upgrade. Been working on backups and such all day :)

- Regards, CSS...

Advertisement: