News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

newsletter won't send

Started by adbrad, April 30, 2010, 02:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adbrad

I tried to send my members a newsletter today, as wanted to inform then of some changes.
I selected the groups and wrote out, the message. and clicked send and it went straight back to administration centre. I even sent it to my self but never received any email.
using rc3
Thanks.

ETA: if i send to 1 member it will send but, if I try to send to all 38 members it won't. have i missed a setting or is there a limit on the number of newsletters that can be sent.

Chas Large

There is no limit. I regularly send newsletters to 200+ members.

Have you enabled the mail queue?if so have you checked the queue in case there is a bottleneck? it could be your host has set mail quotas on the number of e-mails sent each hour.

My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

adbrad

no i don't have the mail queue enabled i have just tried send this via smtp to no avail i must be missing something

Chas Large

If you can send to individuals then the e-mail settings must be OK. SMTP will only work differently to PHP if you have the correct SMTP settings from your host.

Can you send e-mails rather than newsletters? If so and you have some test users set up, you could try sending to them via the e-mail link on their profiles. Just another test.

If you send the newsletter as a PM instead of an e-mail (1sy checkbox unted the text entry box), does that go through?

One last thought, it could possibly be that one member has changed their e-mail to a non working address and this may be stopping the mail process from completing.

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

adbrad

pm won't work as i'm trying to get it sent to users that haven't logged on since dec i will just try 1 thing

Chas Large

Quote from: adbrad on April 30, 2010, 05:12:59 PM
pm won't work as i'm trying to get it sent to users that haven't logged on since dec i will just try 1 thing
For testing purposes you could register a couple of test accounts and try sending the newsletter to them via PM.

What I'm trying to identify is if the whole newsletter process is actually working or if it's just the multiple e-mail function that's broken.

adbrad

I just tryed on a test forum clean install of rc3 with only simpleportal installed and only 18 members.
i will try the pm thing in the morning as its late and i'm tired

ETA: i tried to send multiple to my 3 test accounts and that worked through the email.
so yes i thinking it is maybe the case of 1 or 2 email addresses so i'm going to have to go through one ata time

adbrad

Update:
i have just broke the members down in to smaller groups by manually entering the usernames and all seemed to send.
So i suspect the host has a limit on this or there is a bug in smf when you try to send to an entire group.

P.S I will be contacting the host about this.

adbrad

Ok my host has informed me their mail server does not allow bulk emailing and sending a few at a time is to time consuming and if i ever get a lot of members could take a very long time.
Is there a work around. i.e if a had a different email not attached to the web server would it work then.Or will all emails from the forum go via the webserver
thanks.

Chas Large

Yes there is a built in workaround for just this type of issue.

Admin > Maintenance > Mail > Mail Settings.

Enable the mail queue. In the Maximum emails to send per minute enter the maximum number allowed per minute, say 5. So when sending the mail, SMF will send 5 messages and wait a minute, then send 5 more. It depends on how many your host will allow.

In the box Maximum amount of emails to send per page load enter another number as this is for notifications being sent out depending on posts and replies made.

If this fails to resolve the situation, you can set up mail with any mailing host, using SMTP (don't try Google though as this requires https). Check that the mail host can give you SMTP with password access, then enter these details instead on the same page. All you mail will then go via that host.

adbrad

thanks will try this on my test forum
and yes the mail i got with my isp uses smtp so will try this if the mail queue doesn't resolve the issue.
I did see the mail queue but never knew how to set it up.
Thanks again Chas will keep you posted.

adbrad

ok i tried both of the seggestions above but no joy all i can think is its the host and this issue can not be resolved

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Ask your host about the maximum limit of emails sent per hour. Change your settings accordingly.

Advertisement: