converting charset from one to utf8?

Started by tenzan, May 06, 2010, 07:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenzan

Hello!

I'm using SMF 2.0 RC3 in cyrillic-windows-1251 and now I want to convert charset to utf8.
Is there detailed manual for this?

thanks.

Arantor

1. Backup the forum, both files and database.

2. Admin > Maintenance > Database > Convert the database and data to UTF-8 > Run task now

Norv

To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Arex

Notepad++ allows you to encode documents in various forms (including UTF-8):

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm [nofollow]

Arantor

Unfortunately that won't help convert a database very easily :(

Kill Em All

Quote from: Arantor on May 06, 2010, 06:36:17 PM
Unfortunately that won't help convert a database very easily :(
You can if I recall correctly, but it would take quite a bit of work, which really, who wants to do manual labor when all you can do is run the Convert the database and data to UTF-8 task. :P

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Arantor

Sure you *can* do it manually but it's more effort, since you have to take the backup, convert the file to UTF-8, manually edit the table definitions to move them to UTF-8 too, drop all the existing tables then recreate them.

tenzan

Quote from: Norv on May 06, 2010, 04:05:26 PM
This might help as well
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=865

Thanks for reply. But this method, it seems, didn't work for me. I think, maybe the problem on my smf side.
I considering about the following steps:
1) Backup the database
2) convert charset to utf8 (still searching for ways to do this. as soon as I find a solution, I will report here)
3) create smf again, and import there converted to utf8 database

Norv

Quote from: tenzan on May 07, 2010, 10:42:33 PM
Quote from: Norv on May 06, 2010, 04:05:26 PM
This might help as well
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=865

Thanks for reply. But this method, it seems, didn't work for me. I think, maybe the problem on my smf side.
If you could let us know what exactly you did and how it didn't work, we may be able to assist.

I do not recommend the manual method, sorry. There's far too much to edit manually in the database - and in its structure, for it to work somehow.
Sure, do as you wish, though.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Arantor

I don't recommend doing it manually either, you will have to modify every table (there are 63 in a default install), and for almost every table multiple columns have to be altered, and they must all be done the same way to avoid collation issues.

tenzan

QuoteNorv: If you could let us know what exactly you did and how it didn't work, we may be able to assist.

I do not recommend the manual method, sorry. There's far too much to edit manually in the database - and in its structure, for it to work somehow.
Sure, do as you wish, though.

Thanks a lot.
I will write the details, give me the time.

regards

Advertisement: