News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

converting help

Started by mittal, May 12, 2010, 05:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mittal

hello

i m using mybb 1.4.8 and i want to convert inot smf

i downloaded smf 2.0 rc3 rite now and also downloaded smf_2-0-rc3_mybb_converter

i already have mybb files in my root directory so how can i upload smf in my root directory?

i do not want my posts and members deleted so gelp me to convert it

thank u.

Norv

Hey there,
I will be moving your topic to Converting to SMF board. :)

You can install SMF in a subdirectory, then, for the time being: just create a directory in your root directory, named as you want- lets say "forum", and upload SMF installation files (from the installation package) in it.
Then, install SMF.

Note:
You may want however, for you to be easier to convert, that after you start installation, make sure to install SMF in the same database as MyBB, but with another prefix.
That is, in the installer, enter: the database name of MyBB database, and the prefix "smf_".
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

kat

PLEASE remember to backup EVERYTHING, before you start this, mittal. :)

mittal

ok thanks

suppose i have my site name  mydomain.com and u saying me to install smf into another directory named forums.  i.e. mydomain.com/forums   

if i install smf in mydomain.com/forums   then it will not be installed in mydomain.com so wat i do here.

i want to use sit at mydomain.com

but not at

mydomain.com/forums 

and also how can i use that  smf_2-0-rc3_mybb_converter after installing smf.

Norv

You can move SMF in root and change SMF's URL after the conversion, after you make sure all went well.
Just let us know when it's all done and you want to move it, and we'll assist you with it.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

Norv

About using the converter: please see the guide
Converting to SMF

mittal

grrrrrrr..........its very confusing to convert into smf.

let me do step by step.

1) i will uplaod all smf files in other root.

2) then i will install it but i have to install smf in same database where mybb is installed.

3) now i will move all files from present root to another root i.e. mydomain.com

is this ok till now?

Norv

The main problem here is that MyBB is in root folder, I don't advice to overwrite it, but to keep it until we're finished. (and that's the only reason why I advice to install SMF elsewhere, and then move it back). So:
1) Make a backup of MyBB files and database.
2) upload all smf files in a subdirectory ("forum")
3) install it. You don't HAVE to install it in the same database, but it's EASIER if you do.
4) convert MyBB to SMF.
5) Test the new SMF with the imported posts, users, etc. If all is okay, delete MyBB files and folders from root (make sure not to delete "forum" subdirectory since it has SMF), and move SMF from forum to root.
To have the move successful, run the repair_settings.php script attached here - What is repair_settings.php?, after the move.

You CAN skip the move, if you install to root folder, but if you install to root folder, you would overwrite MyBB files, and that would make MyBB not work anymore. (before you even started the conversion). If that's what you want, you can, though.

mittal

ok if it is easy to install in same database then i will install it in same of mybb.

but wat after that?

how it will be converted if i install smf database in same database where mybb database exists.

this is wat i not understand.

Norv

If you install SMF in the same database as MyBB is, but a different prefix (by default "smf_" is the prefix, as you will see in the first pages of the installer wizard), then SMF will create its own tables in that database, all of the with names starting with "smf_", so it will not interfere at all with MyBB. If you want to be sure, connect to your database with a tool like phpMyAdmin, and look at the existing tables. If none starts with "smf_", everything is just fine (just make sure in the SMF installer you will choose prefix "smf_").

ETA: please note, I said it's easier because: if you install SMF in another database, then, depending on your host, you may need to create this other database in cpanel, or whatever panel they offer, and add to it the same user that MyBB database has. If you find this easier, then you can do things this way too.

mittal

hehe ok i understand now.

i will do now and if i get problem i will knock ur door hehehehe

thanks for helping.

mittal

i installed smf in other root and installed database in same database where mybb exists.

i installed it with prefix  smf_mittal

now wat i do

site is working good where i installed smf.

wat to do now.

Norv

Please see, as said above, the guide for converting to SMF: Converting to SMF
Short version: you can take the converter package from MyBB your version to SMF your version, unzip and upload the files in it, in SMF folder. Then, run convert.php by pointing to it in the browser.

mittal

ok thanks

i download this.

is this ok.see below file

Norv

If it's the one on the Downloads > Converters, for MyBB your version, sure. :)

mittal

ok thank u

in which root i should upload converter.php and mybb to smf sql

Norv

Please note:
Quote from: Norv on May 12, 2010, 11:36:20 AM
Short version: you can take the converter package from MyBB your version to SMF your version, unzip and upload the files in it, in SMF folder. Then, run convert.php by pointing to it in the browser.

mittal

o sorry i didnt seen that.

but where to use mybb to smf sql

should i insert it in mybb database?

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

The SQL file of conversion is to be put in the same folder as the PHP file of conversion. The things needed for this conversion are taken from the .sql file. :)

mittal

i m using mybb 1.4 and the covert.php having

Path to SMF:   
This may be the right path.

Path to MyBulletinBoard 1.0:   
You will need to change the value in this box.

SMF database password:   
The Database password (for verification only.)

Set SMF's default character set to:

is that above is ok to change.because i m  using mybb 1.4 and above MyBulletinBoard 1.0:    is given

and also plz tell me wat to put inside

Path to SMF:   
This may be the right path.

and

Path to MyBulletinBoard 1.0:

and

Empty the convert error log?

Advertisement: