News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Upgrade from 1.1 RC2 to 2.0 final

Started by SergeantAsh, May 12, 2010, 11:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Did you ever use YaBB SE? I think there was an incomplete upgrade made that time which is why it still thinks it is YaBB SE.

Go in PhpMyAdmin and search for "YaBB", you'll probably find out which query in there defines it as YaBB SE.

SergeantAsh

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on July 15, 2010, 02:35:10 PM
Did you ever use YaBB SE? I think there was an incomplete upgrade made that time which is why it still thinks it is YaBB SE.

Go in PhpMyAdmin and search for "YaBB", you'll probably find out which query in there defines it as YaBB SE.

Never ever used YaBB, its my own DB and PHP servers so I can guarantee this. Really frustrating, what to do next!!  :(
Quote"Moderation has been called a virtue to limit the ambition of great men, and to console undistinguished people for their want of fortune and their lack of merit."

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

That is odd. Do you want me to have a look at it personally?

PM me your Control Panel Logins and admin login to your forum. I'll check it out for you. :)

SergeantAsh

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on July 15, 2010, 02:42:32 PM
That is odd. Do you want me to have a look at it personally?

PM me your Control Panel Logins and admin login to your forum. I'll check it out for you. :)

Thanks Flamer, that's very generous of you to offer, before we try that could it possibly be my Settings.php file that is causing this? It will be reading the settings file from my 1.1RC2 installation - would it be worth me taking a fresh settings file and amending it's DB connection details?
Quote"Moderation has been called a virtue to limit the ambition of great men, and to console undistinguished people for their want of fortune and their lack of merit."

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

I just checked both SMF 1.1 RC2 and SMF 2.0 RC3 Settings.php. There is nothing in there which can cause this. Taking a fresh Settings.php will not make any difference.

SergeantAsh

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on July 15, 2010, 02:49:42 PM
I just checked both SMF 1.1 RC2 and SMF 2.0 RC3 Settings.php. There is nothing in there which can cause this. Taking a fresh Settings.php will not make any difference.

Just found this chunk of script in the upgrade.php for v2 RC3...

$upcontext['is_large_forum'] = (empty($modSettings['smfVersion']) || $modSettings['smfVersion'] <= '1.1 RC1') && !empty($modSettings['totalMessages']) && $modSettings['totalMessages'] > 75000;
// Default title...
$upcontext['page_title'] = isset($modSettings['smfVersion']) ? 'Updating Your SMF Install!' : 'Upgrading from YaBB SE!';

Could this be related?

xenovanis

@sh, this is still your testinstall?

Could you try upgrading to 1.1.11 first and see if the upgrade to 2.0 RC3 works from there?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

SergeantAsh

Quote from: xenovanis on July 15, 2010, 02:55:41 PM
@sh, this is still your testinstall?

Could you try upgrading to 1.1.11 first and see if the upgrade to 2.0 RC3 works from there?

Yeah I can do, although I would prefer a cleaner upgrade direct to v2.0 :( is there definitely nothing else that I can try?

xenovanis

Nothing I can't think of. Not that that really means anything :P

I just think the upgrader is choking in this very obsolete version. Not sure why, but it seems like a very reasonable explanation.

It doesn't really matter how many steps you take; after the final upgrade to RC3 you could upload all files from the installationpackage, except the actual install.php and *.sql files, and of course Settings.php and Settings_bak.php) to refresh the installation. If that's what you mean.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

SergeantAsh

Quote from: xenovanis on July 15, 2010, 03:08:59 PM
Nothing I can't think of. Not that that really means anything :P

I just think the upgrader is choking in this very obsolete version. Not sure why, but it seems like a very reasonable explanation.

It doesn't really matter how many steps you take; after the final upgrade to RC3 you could upload all files from the installationpackage, except the actual install.php and *.sql files, and of course Settings.php and Settings_bak.php) to refresh the installation. If that's what you mean.

Ahhh ok, so this step if anything would just be to get the DB upgraded, then I could run a entirely fresh installation and just swap out the new DB it creates?

xenovanis

I'm not sure I'm following. Both steps (upgrade to 1.1.11 and then to 2.0 RC3) are required to upgrade your database.

You're planning to import your 'live' database then? It needs to be upgraded as well, you can't import a 1.1.x database in one for 2.0 RC3.

xenovanis

Did you backup?

Please backup before you start experimenting?

SergeantAsh

Quote from: xenovanis on July 15, 2010, 03:14:30 PM
Did you backup?

Yep, all backed up :D

Sorry for the confusion, to summarise I am planning to firstly upgrade to 1.1.11, then overwrite that build with the upgrade for v2 rc3 and let it proceed, then once the database has been fully upgraded I will start a new fresh build of v2 rc3 on a fresh DB, then once completed I'll overwrite the fresh DB with the upgraded DB from before.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

SMF 2.0 RC3 is the latest one. Not RC2.

SergeantAsh

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on July 15, 2010, 03:25:45 PM
SMF 2.0 RC3 is the latest one. Not RC2.

Sorry, typo, corrected :D uploading the upgrade for 1.1.11 now, will update you shortly. Thanks for your help so far guys, really appreciate it.

xenovanis

Ah, makes sense. I thought you wanted to import the 'live' database in the tables of the new database.

SergeantAsh

This isn't looking good - having overwritten a new copy of my original 1.1RC2 installation with thye Large Upgrade version of the 1.1.11 package, uploaded it all and run upgrade.php, I'm getting the following error message :(

QuoteThe upgrader found some old or outdated files.

Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package.

Click here to try again.

:( :( :( is tehre a technical debugging mode that I can enable to tell me what is wrong here?

cicka

Quote from: @sh on July 15, 2010, 03:23:06 PM
Quote from: xenovanis on July 15, 2010, 03:14:30 PM
Did you backup?

Yep, all backed up :D

Sorry for the confusion, to summarise I am planning to firstly upgrade to 1.1.11, then overwrite that build with the upgrade for v2 rc3 and let it proceed, then once the database has been fully upgraded I will start a new fresh build of v2 rc3 on a fresh DB, then once completed I'll overwrite the fresh DB with the upgraded DB from before.

May I ask why? That will not accomplish anything since you will use the same database anyway.

For the language problem, try to reupload the languages folder once again.

SergeantAsh

If this is of any use, if I don't go to upgrade.php and instead access index.php, I get...

QuoteFatal error: Call to undefined function smf_seed_generator() in /home/.feller/a-hall/www.clubcalibra.com_new/index.php on line 86

Quote from: cicka on July 15, 2010, 03:40:47 PM
May I ask why? That will not accomplish anything since you will use the same database anyway.

Ahhh ok, I didn't realise that I could setup a fresh installation without creating a new DB. I want a fresh file install so as to cleanse my folder structure.

Quote from: cicka on July 15, 2010, 03:40:47 PM
For the language problem, try to reupload the languages folder once again.

Which Language problem?

xenovanis

What ftp client are you using? FileZilla has a bug which corrupts files during upload.

See here for a fix:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=374178.0

Or do you by any change use any other languages than English? Even though the errormessage should be different, could you see if there are any other languages in your /Themes/default/languages directory?

Advertisement: