News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Char set problem, tried, but failed to fix.

Started by WolvesSoulZ, May 21, 2010, 08:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WolvesSoulZ

Hello there! I have difficulty with the Charset of my forum, actually, more related to
É é and other letters like those.

They are often replaced by <?> , � or é

The charset is currently Latin1 in my config.php. I tried utf8 but it was worst.

Thanks.

Allusion

Did you move your forum to another host or re-imported the database?

Also, what's your forum URL?

WolvesSoulZ

I updated from 1.1.11 to 2.0 RC3

and located at : hxxp:teamssf.net [nonactive]

Allusion

You have a site (made with SMF's SSI, I guess?) and a forum.

There are 3 things to consider here.

1. You need to choose what character set you want to use for both the site and the forum, either UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1, but not both.

2. Your front-end site is using the (ISO-8859-1) character encoding, but your forum is using UTF-8 by default.

UTF-8 is usually recommended, because it can support most languages in the world, plus many special characters and symbols (including the Euro sign). Also, many modern hosting servers use UTF-8 for databases by default. ISO-8859-1 supports French just fine, but you might want to upgrade to UTF-8 for the future and for compatibility with new hosts etc.

3. The language files on the forum seem to be made for ISO-8859-1 encoding. You can see that if you go to the View menu -> Character Encoding (or similar to that) in your browser and switch from Western ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8, and vice-versa. Same with the site.

Quote from: WolvesSoulZ on May 21, 2010, 08:28:02 PM
The charset is currently Latin1 in my config.php.

Is config.php for your site? SMF doesn't use config.php, it uses Settings.php.

WolvesSoulZ

Well I meant Settings.php. And I'll try to uplaod the UTF-8 language pack for smf.

Edit: Got it a lil better, but it isn't all fixed yet. What to do now?

Allusion

Go to Admin > Configuration > Languages > Settings and set the "Default Forum Language" to the new UTF-8 language.

If you have installed mods that add their own language strings, you need to copy them into the respective UTF-8 files. Be sure to save every file as UTF-8 without BOM (any good text editor should have this option).

WolvesSoulZ

It keep putting back the language to english, no matter what.

Allusion

What language pack did you upload? Is it for SMF 2.0 RC3?

WolvesSoulZ

Allusion

Weird. I just tested the language switch on a test RC3 install and it worked fine for me.

You see both "English" and "French (UTF-8)" in the language selection list, right?

Have you tried clearing the cache? Go to Admin > Maintenance > Forum Maintenance > Routine and click the "Run task now" button under "Empty the file cache".

WolvesSoulZ

Allusion

Does the switch work when you use the default theme (Curve)?

Advertisement: