News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Remove "Powered By SMF"

Started by becool, May 21, 2010, 11:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

becool

Im sure this is legal, just as long as the full copyright stays untouched right?

And if so, can I please be shown how to remove this?

Thanks

Kindred

No, it is not legal.

The only thing which you are allowed to change/remove is the smf version number, which can be edited in index.php

the entire line
Powered by SMF 2.0 RC3 | SMF © 2006–2010, Simple Machines LLC

must remain unaltered (with the exception of 2.0RC3, as already stated)

Why do you want to remove that anyway?

Plus... you put your question in the SITE COMMENTS board (which is for comments about the simplemachines.org site)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

becool

Welp I stand corrected :) thanks! You know I just wanted to remain in compliance with the minimum requirements of the rules set forth. And to answer your question, just wanted to make it a little less noticeable. This is all. All credit is given where it is do.

Btw, please feel free to remove or move this to the appropriate thread.

Thanks

zerofill

Yeah and it's too bad that it can't be removed since it is one of the biggest xrumer search queries going...

rd

Place a <no index> :D (I'm not sure if that's possiable or allowed).

Kindred

oh, come on... do you REALLY think that removing that one lien will prevent hack attempts?

No way, no how.

Security through obscurity does not work at all.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Orstio

Quote from: zerofill on May 22, 2010, 06:29:30 AM
Yeah and it's too bad that it can't be removed since it is one of the biggest xrumer search queries going...

What's to stop the scripts from searching for "index.php?topic=1" instead?

The bottom line is that you want people to find your site.  Script kiddies are people.  Maybe not the people you want to find it, but if you make it so people can find it, you make it so script kiddies can find it too.

rd

Quote from: Orstio on May 22, 2010, 10:08:16 AM

The bottom line is that you want people to find your site.  Script kiddies are people.  Maybe not the people you want to find it, but if you make it so people can find it, you make it so script kiddies can find it too.

PrettyURLs, SimpleSEF :D

Anyways, as people stated abouve, it's useless, usually hackers hack sites and it doesn't matter if it is a SMF, Wordpress, phpBB, etc... The scripts "attack" all types and tries to force in.

Orstio

Quote from: Royalduke on May 22, 2010, 11:57:48 AM

PrettyURLs, SimpleSEF :D

The search still works on sites with both PrettyURLs and SimpleSEF.  Look at the Google results.  :P

rd

Oh yeah, I forgot, they only mask the real URLs.

becool

eh, I thought I read somewhere that we can move the copyright UNTOUCHED to where ever we want to as long as it visible and and on all pages right? :D

Kays

Yes, it can be moved. As long as it remains clearly visible.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

ARG01

SMF is free to use so I see no reason at all for the need to remove any portion of the copyright. Imo, the footer is the best place for it.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

becool

青山 素子

Exactly. Trying to remove something like that will only result in another technique being used (like checking for the "credits" action for SMF 2.0+). Anyone who is trying to convince you that removing a single line will secure you from an attack is selling snake oil.

Also, you don't even need to run something to get probed for a vulnerability. I've seen attempts against Joomla! and modules for it, phpBB, Drupal, and many other applications even though I've never had them on my site.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Liam.

PrettyURL's doesn't remove the index.php?action=, it just redirects it, in a sense... Those URLs would still be there.

Plus, removing "Powered by SMF" wouldn't really be hiding or masking it, since anyone with sense would still notice the copyright there...

zerofill

Who said it was going to protect you from hack attempts or attacks? I didn't? For one xrumer isn't a hacking or an attack tool...so really has no bearing on what I am trying to say. Hacking/attacking and spamming are two or three different things.

People running xrumer use the defaults... powered by wordpress, powered by smf...blah blah... And the vast amount of people that use it...don't really know how to use it other then what is there by default for them... If you think they do your giving them too much credit. I did say the vast amount of people using them...I didn't say all..so before some one replies and says I am crazy if I think people don't know how...I will clear that up. Talking about reducing here...not stopping.

The fact that Powered by stays in the official release is all that matters... It's actually a good thing... It will always be a default in all apps...so those applications will always look for it. So being able to edit it legally would be a good thing...A large majority of the people that try and run the spam tools don't even know how to do inurl, intext, etc searches... So editing that one thing will reduce the amount of spam attempts...I didn't say or mean to imply that it would eliminate all attempts. Just my opinion based on knowledge of the tools and the user base of said tools.

Truthfully I don't really care either way...I know enough about xrumer that I could prevent it if it became a problem for me anyway... Just stating the fact that it is the most common footprint. Leaving it in the official release but allowing it to be edited still leaves it as the most common footprint which is what you would want.

What if you basically cloned it via images...or is one of the main purposes of it the anchor text backlink so that wouldn't be allowed? Or is it just that it remains visually as it is?

Orstio

Quote from: zerofill on May 23, 2010, 06:55:25 AM
Talking about reducing here...not stopping.

Reducing it by the half hour or so to get a response here?

http://xrchat.info/forums/xrumer-support/

:P

青山 素子

People running xrumer use the defaults... powered by wordpress, powered by smf...blah blah... And the vast amount of people that use it...don't really know how to use it other then what is there by default for them... If you think they do your giving them too much credit. I did say the vast amount of people using them...I didn't say all..so before some one replies and says I am crazy if I think people don't know how...I will clear that up. Talking about reducing here...not stopping.

If enough people remove the text that is looked for by default, the app creator will just switch to another method, and so on.

Heck, from http://wordpress.org/development/2009/09/keep-wordpress-secure/
Snake oil you'll be able to spot right away because it's easy. Hide the WordPress version, they say, and you'll be fine. Uh, duh, the worm writers thought of that. Where their 1.0 might have checked for version numbers, 2.0 just tests capabilities, version number be damned.

Switch that around for searching on some other string and it still applies. Hiding a small bit of text won't save you or anyone else from whatever is out to get your board. It won't even slow things down.

What if you basically cloned it via images...or is one of the main purposes of it the anchor text backlink so that wouldn't be allowed? Or is it just that it remains visually as it is?

The license says it must be retained as output, which means you can't replace it with an image; that's a license violation.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

zerofill

Quote from: Orstio on May 23, 2010, 09:36:01 AM
Talking about reducing here...not stopping.

Reducing it by the half hour or so to get a response here?

http://xrchat.info/forums/xrumer-support/

:P

Nah...the good forums are all in Russian you have to translate them lol..

Advertisement: