News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Updating SMF

Started by retrib, May 25, 2010, 12:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retrib

Good day! I want to convert my community from phpbb3 to SMF 2.0 RC(?).

I wonder how I can install updates on board with like really a lot of mods. When I tried to update my phpbb3 board several mods vere deleted, several not, so board died with a horrorful error.

How mods and updates work in SMF? All mods will be auto-installed or board will just die?

retrib

If you try ti dig a little deeper in post than just reading the first line you will see that my question is not about convetring from phpbb3 or using phpbb3 or whatsoever. It is about using mods with SMF and upgrading board with mods present.

Kays

Hi, it would depend on the version you are using. For 2.0 since it isn't final yet, you will need to reinstall any mods you have. Once a version is final, the updates are done though the package manager and usually doesn't affect installed mods.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

retrib

But aren't they installed by package manager now? I mean SMF 2.0 RC3 has some sort of package installer in ACP.

So if I install current version of SMF 2.0 I gotta reinstall all board with mods when any core updates will be available?

Also I got this little tiny stupid question. When SMF 2.0 is going to be final version? How many RC you are going to make? And is it friendly with PHP 5.3 cos there's a lot of troubles with old scripts like "using magic qoutes is deprecated!" etc.

Allusion

Quote from: retrib on May 26, 2010, 03:50:26 AM
So if I install current version of SMF 2.0 I gotta reinstall all board with mods when any core updates will be available?

It depends. If the next SMF 2.0 version (RC4 or Final) doesn't contain too many changes, you can apply the changes manually, without affecting mods (hopefully).

There are usually no patch packages for RC versions of SMF, unless the amount of changes is small and/or to fix urgent security issues. Only large upgrade packages will normally be provided to update from RC3 to RC4 and/or to Final, and you would have to replace all SMF files with the ones from the package.

But aren't they installed by package manager now? I mean SMF 2.0 RC3 has some sort of package installer in ACP.

Core patches are provided as packages that can be installed via the Package Manager (just like mod packages), but only for stable SMF versions. There is a patch package to update SMF 1.1.10 to 1.1.11, for example.

However, as I pointed out, RC (Release Candidate) versions aren't considered stable from a development standpoint, so the devs don't bother with providing patch packages for those. Once SMF 2.0 goes final, though, patch packages to 2.0.1 etc. should start to roll out.

Also I got this little tiny stupid question. When SMF 2.0 is going to be final version? How many RC you are going to make?

Generally, SMF devs don't make public announcements about release dates. "It's done when it's done."

And is it friendly with PHP 5.3 cos there's a lot of troubles with old scripts like "using magic qoutes is deprecated!" etc.

It should be, but don't take my word for it. I believe recent SMF versions try to manipulate magic quotes settings in a way that doesn't raise an error if they don't exist.

retrib

That's all I needed to know! Thanks!

Advertisement: