News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Help installing mods

Started by Draetheus, May 25, 2010, 07:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draetheus

I keep getting this error while trying to install SimplePortal 2.3.2:

"You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"

Thing is, I KNOW all the contents of that directory are writable.  So I clear my browser cache, start the install again, all tests pass successfully, FTP connection is successful, and then it gives me that error.  I even set the entire SMF directory to be writable but this didn't seem to help.

Any insight on what I'm doing wrong?

Kays

Hi, try adding a folder named temp to the Packages folder.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

rd

As Kays says, please add the temp file and make sure package directory is writable (I'm pretty sure you did this already).

Draetheus

Yep, just FTPed in and added a temp folder with no problem inside the Packages directory.

rd

Try installing a mod now, did it work?

Draetheus

Nope, didn't work for either mod I tried to install (SimplePortal and SMF Arcade).  Going to dump my SMF install to XAMPP on my local PC to see if its a problem with my web host.

Draetheus

Well damn...worked fine on my local XAMPP setup.  Guess my webhost must suck.   :(

rd

Draetheus

Fixed!  I had to delete and recreate the subdomain that SMF was running off of on my domain.  I'm not sure why this worked...oh well.

Anywho I used 000webhost because this is just a hobby/friends only site and I didn't see the need to pay for hosting.  I may change my mind if things like these keep happening, however.   :P

flapjack

this was something I wanted to suggest, smf tends to have problems with free hosting providers and with windows hosting accounts

Advertisement: