How to prevent Google bot from indexing wap and wap2

Started by humbleworld, June 02, 2010, 01:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

No, it doesn't work *quite* like that. Yes, you can create such a group but the group only *denies* permissions, it does not grant any extras, and I don't think it gives any changes to board access.

Gwenwyfar

Ahh, I see. And yes, I just tested, it doesn't affect boards even if you're giving an extra permission. Would be a good addition though.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Arantor

Why would it? Adding permissions or access like this is a bad idea since it can earn you penalties like Experts Exchange discovered some time ago.

Gwenwyfar

I was talking about boards access more specifically, I can't think of any use for permissions themselves (as in permissions to do something in the forum), actually. I do have sections I want visible for guests, but not for bots for instance, since they'd be basically "spam" on their eyes and wouldn't be useful for anyone making a search. I know many forums that have a similar section or simply people who wouldn't like google indexing some things.

Experts Exchange discovered what? (sorry, I don't even know what is that site :P)

Arantor

Yeah, there are issues around *that* too. Google is very fussy about things you show to guests but not to things that identify themselves as Google.

Gwenwyfar

And do they really check for that? What issues would they be? I know it already considers these access denied pages a "soft 404 error" regardless. I guess that's one more thing on the pile of useless things to try with a forum for SEs then...

Arantor

They have been known to, yes. Like I said, Experts Exchange ran afoul of this in their scheme to convince people to pay for access but show the results to Google for free.

Advertisement: