News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

E-mai spam - help!

Started by savengeli, June 02, 2010, 03:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savengeli

Me (as the forum admin) and also my forum's members are getting some spam e-mail. In these e-mails the sender is marked as it was me, so the e-mail address of the sender is my e-mail address. I know that this spammer is not registered to my forum, because it is a very small forum and I know all the members. I just checked the member list and there is nobody unwanted in that list. What can I do?

Edit: btw quests are able to see members' e-mail addresses. How can I put there such a setting that guests can read messages but cannot see anybody's e-mail address? (But members have to be able to see e-mail addresses of those people who have allowed other users to see it)

Kill Em All

So your email address has probably been compromised.... steps I suggest you follow.
1. Run a bunch of AV scans and then change your email address's password, and your cPanel password, login password for forum, and any other password would probably be a good idea...
2. go to Admin>Configuration>Security and Moderation>General>Allow viewable email addresses>make sure that is unticked>Save

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Road Rash Jr.

His email address may not be compromised, it is a favorite trick of the spammers to show someone elses email address but if you right click on the message and then options it will show the real senders return email address. Report that address and the senders IP address to a reputable anti-spammer site to black list them.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Kill Em All

Ah true, forgot about that. :(

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

savengeli

Quote from: Road Rash on June 02, 2010, 07:02:42 PM
His email address may not be compromised, it is a favorite trick of the spammers to show someone elses email address but if you right click on the message and then options it will show the real senders return email address. Report that address and the senders IP address to a reputable anti-spammer site to black list them.

Yeah my email address is not compromised, the real sender is someone else than my e-mail address.

Kill Em All

Well I would imagine, if they are smart, that it is to late to make changes cause I'm sure he keeps all the email address on a txt file or something. But you really should go to the area in my first post and do that.

Advertisement: