Your attachment couldn't be saved. "Help please"

Started by JR V, June 09, 2010, 03:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR V

Last Friday I noticed that we are getting the error.
"Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.  Please consult your server administrator for more information.

I have been searching this forum since then trying to find the solution hoping to find it and not have to make this post, but I am finally throwing my hands up and asking for help.

Here is all the info I can give you:
-We host and maintain our own SME Server.
-Our old machine just had a hard drive failure (mirrored luckily).  So we decided to build a new machine.  The forum worked great before on the old machine.  Old machine was running SMF 2.0 Beta 4.
-Knowing we are reloading the machine I installed SMF 2.0 RC3 on the new server.  Everything loaded up no problems and was able to recover all the data from the old server with no problems.
-I have logged onto both servers at the same time to compare each one side by side and there aren't any settings different from one to the other.
-We have no problem making posts, only adding attachments.

-All of the attachment setting are set to 0kb (no limit), we load the forum with pdf's and need our setting high anyways so had it set there on the old server too.
-File permissions are set as (chmod 2775) writtable on; attachments, avatars, cache, Smileys, Sources, Themes & Packages.
-File permissions are set as (chmod 0764) writtable on; agreement, settings, & settings_bak.
-I installed the mod from http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2206.  But it didn't help at all.

Feel free to view my phpinfo at  http://www.v3dd.com/phpinfo.php [nofollow].  I have gone over it and compaired it with the old server and have not seen any settings that are different.

Our server originally hosted only one forum but now hosts a second one for my sisters uses and this problem is also on hers as well.  Her forum is also running SME 2.0 RC3.

If someone is even available to help talking over the phone I am game for that and then document it all on here so that the next person with this issue doesn't have to go through all this too.

Arantor

JR V

At first we were trying to upload a pdf file that was 143kb.

After we noticed the problem I tried loading just a 10kb jpg.  Still no luck.

I tried both files on the old server and they loaded just fine.

Arantor

That would imply the paths might be wrong, or there's a permissions error.

JR V

Quote from: Arantor on June 09, 2010, 04:57:39 PM
That would imply the paths might be wrong, or there's a permissions error.

I just went into the Admin/Forum/AttachmentsSetting, and clicked on the "Configure multiple attachment directories" and everything appears to be ok.

Attached is a screen shot of that.

Where would I check is there is a permissions error?

Arantor

JR V

Just double checked using Core FTP, and yes.  I made sure to not use the local network IP but to use the internet IP aswell.

BTW, thanks for the help!!!!

Arantor

And what are the permissions on that path?

Also, how much disk space is left?

JR V

Quote from: Arantor on June 09, 2010, 05:47:22 PM
And what are the permissions on that path?...

I'm not following what your asking there.  I am the admin of our server so I have all permissions.  But maybe I don't follow you.

Quote from: Arantor on June 09, 2010, 05:47:22 PM
Also, how much disk space is left?

Just checked the server and we are using aprox. 35Mb of 500Gb.

Arantor

If you go to that path in FTP, what file permissions does it tell you it has? Might be a number, like 755 or 644 or something.

JR V

Quote from: Arantor on June 09, 2010, 06:12:33 PM
If you go to that path in FTP, what file permissions does it tell you it has? Might be a number, like 755 or 644 or something.

Checked all folders and they come back as 765, User (read, write, exec.) Group (read, write) World (read, exec.).

Arantor

*ALL* the folders?

Try making the attachments folder 775 instead of 765.

JR V

SME servers dont allow you to chmod with ftp.  And I cannot for the life of me remember exactly how to do it from the server console.  But I did ftp to the old server and all of the folders there are also set to 765 and are working just fine.

Any other thoughts?

Arantor

But the old server may be configured differently, so that proves nothing.

Advertisement: