News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Sitemap

Started by Spacecadet, June 14, 2010, 09:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spacecadet

I searched and found hundreds of results and after reading the first 5 pages gave up and decided to ask. So! In my defence I did look and I did try.

I just listed my site with google and added a site map to the main directory outside of the SMF directory. I added the directory that contains SMF to the site map but when google indexes my site it brings up this. The stars are because the site is not launched yet and I blanked out the name. I do have a main index page outside of the forum directory that i was hoping google would index but for some reason it brings this up. Should I use a site map file directed to the main forum directory?

I hope that made sence????

"Introduction - SMF User Help - 7:41am
Welcome to ************, a Simple Machines Forum (SMF)! SMF is an extremely flexible software package that gives forum administrators the ability ...
***************/forum/index.php?action=help - Cached"

"United States of America - 7:42am
"************** »; Receipt Central »; United States of America. Normal Topic Hot Topic (More than 15 replies) Very Hot Topic (More than 25 replies) ..."

ARG01

If you really want google to index what is happening on your site the it should be directed to your forum section (yoursite.com/forums).
Since new posts are made daily that is where most of your information will be and constantly growing. If you have it set to index an outside directory or your main page it will eventually find your forums but it will take much longer to get to and log the majority of site info. Your forums are updated every time some one posts so that would be your best bet.

In short, your outside directory and main page are probably not constantly updating as your forums are and your forums most likely contain a lot more info that can be indexed and logged by google than the main page.

Jmo.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Spacecadet

I do have a site map directing google to "www.mysite.com/forum/", but what shows up in google in kind of strange and doesnt give people any indication as to what my site is all about. I do have an index page in the main directory "www.mysite.com/index.htm" that i put meta tags in and and all the keywords and stuff but it seems google inst indexing it? Google seems to index only the forum and it brings up that simple machines add that you saw in my original post.

ARG01

Well you stated that you just listed it. It will take google quite a while to roam your site and find things. Once the sitemap is created, on average it will take 30 to 45 days before you begin to see real results. It just takes time. Usually you will find them in your Help sections and Calendar before anywhere else.

;)

No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Spacecadet

You mean I wont get 1000 new users by tomorrow. Ah well dash all my hopes and dreams why dont you lol. Thanks as long as I did everything correctly.

Spacecadet

I have one more question in reguards to this topic. Is it advisable to have the site map list every directory within the Forum directory or just have the sitemap directed to the forum directory it's self?

ARG01

Just the forum directory will be fine but the more listed the more google will index your site.  ;)

ceverway

google as error listen sitemap

Advertisement: