News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Member groups

Started by MrCue, December 23, 2003, 03:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrCue

The ability to setup membergroups which members can put themselfs in.
I am neither a Pessimist nor an Optimist, Just a Realist.

Eve-Online Forum | View Latest Eve-Online Kills | Site Map | SMF Installation

Anguz

well... the member group thing is not just the name, each group has a set of priviledges and access that others don't or differ

so if it's just a name thing, they can put it in their personal text under the avatar... in my community there's a few groups like that and you can do it with what's already there

if you were talking about the member group as mentioned at the beginning of my first msg, I don't understand how it'd be useful... do you have something in mind?
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

MrCue

Well, i have some (1) boards at the moment which i want hidden from users, unless they want to see it. te problem currently is that ppl must request access. which is time consuming for me. I would like them to be able to add & remove their own access.

Grudge

Quote from: cueball2000uk on December 23, 2003, 03:31:12 PM
Well, i have some (1) boards at the moment which i want hidden from users, unless they want to see it. te problem currently is that ppl must request access. which is time consuming for me. I would like them to be able to add & remove their own access.

Ummm.... if members can add and remove their own access to a hidden board doesn't that defeat the point of having it hidden?
I'm only a half geek really...

MrCue

No, i want them to decide if they wish to view the contents.

Anguz

Quote from: cueball2000uk on December 23, 2003, 03:31:12 PM

hmmm... I can see how that could be if it has content that the person must agree to see...

isn't it as easy as creating a category for that and have it collapsed by default? the person would only see it if he/she decides to expand it to see the content

MrCue

I did think about that, but the posts would show up in recent posts.

MrCue

An example would be, Spoilers for a game/film.

You dont read them by rule, but someone writes the spoiler in the thread title. you happen to see it in recent posts/ last 10 & now its ruined.

Anguz

hmm... make it a rule not to put the spoiler in the thread title? and the board can be named Spoilers

anyway... there's talk about invisible boards, so if that's done, you could use that

[Unknown]

This is really a mod thing... you'd add a column to the membergroups table, and have an interface for them to pick a group...

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: