News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Cache Directory not writable?

Started by Drakmyr, June 16, 2010, 10:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakmyr

Quote! ! Performance Warning

The cache directory is not writable - this will adversely affect the performance of your forum.

This is the warning that shows at the top of my forums. I checked file permissions, and the folder is set to 755 which should be writable. It hasn't given me this error till today.

Does anyone here know why? and/or how to fix it?

CapadY

What about the files in the folder ? Also 755 ?

By the way, in SMF2RC3 most of time switching off the cache willl be better then using a cache. There seems to be some problems in the cache system.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

NanoSector

Quote from: capady on June 16, 2010, 11:08:25 AM

By the way, in SMF2RC3 most of time switching off the cache willl be better then using a cache. There seems to be some problems in the cache system.
Why then add a cache :P

chmod it to 777 and see.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Drakmyr

no, all files within the directory are 644 which is also writable to owner and read to everyone else.

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on June 16, 2010, 11:16:03 AM
chmod it to 777 and see.

Yes, changing it to 757 or 777 works, but why? It worked fine without having to be writable by the public before,in fact, now my settings.php, which is set to 644 and should be writable by owner is not writable.... hold on. they are writable by owner, but smf can't write to them... maybe there is something wrong with who the files think are their owner? I will look into this.

NanoSector

Quote from: Drakmyr on June 16, 2010, 11:29:33 AM

no, all files within the directory are 644 which is also writable to owner and read to everyone else.

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on June 16, 2010, 11:16:03 AM
chmod it to 777 and see.

Yes, changing it to 757 or 777 works, but why? It worked fine without having to be writable by the public before,in fact, now my settings.php, which is set to 644 and should be writable by owner is not writable.... hold on. they are writable by owner, but smf can't write to them... maybe there is something wrong with who the files think are their owner? I will look into this.
SMF is "Anyone".

644 means "Owner can write and read, Group can read, Anyone can read"
It seems SMF cannot write to it because Anyone can only read the file.
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Drakmyr

The thing is,it never had this problem before. I discovered it is an issue with my host. the Server is running as anyone and it needs to run as owner. I will not leave my files and directories "world writable" for the whole world to be able to edit.

I will continue pursuing this issue with my host as it is not actually a problem related to smf after all.

Thank you. this is solved from this end.

NanoSector

Quote from: Drakmyr on June 16, 2010, 12:34:55 PM
The thing is,it never had this problem before. I discovered it is an issue with my host. the Server is running as anyone and it needs to run as owner. I will not leave my files and directories "world writable" for the whole world to be able to edit.

I will continue pursuing this issue with my host as it is not actually a problem related to smf after all.

Thank you. this is solved from this end.
It's your only choice.
And the server is indeed Anyone, but I took SMF as example.

Drakmyr

My host has corrected the settings of their server to allow it to run scripts as owner. This problem is resolved without having to set anything "world-writable"

This thread can be closed now.

Thank you

Advertisement: