News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

can't install any mod

Started by Nihtilan, June 17, 2010, 10:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nihtilan

Hello

I'm using SMF 2.0 RC3, fresh install + one theme which is default for everyone. I tried to install different mods,everything works fine untill I hit the Install Mod button, after that I get the fallowing error message: "You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!", but the packages directory and files in it are all chmoded to 777. The only thing I tried is that i changed to default SMF theme, but it doesn't work either.

So, any ideeas?

Kays

Hi, try adding a folder named temp to the packages folder and chomd it to 777.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Nihtilan

Quote from: Kays on June 17, 2010, 10:45:26 AM
Hi, try adding a folder named temp to the packages folder and chomd it to 777.

Already did. Now it seems that the forum manages to install the mods, but when i go to modifications, the list is empty.

Any ideeas?

Kays

Did the mods actually install or did it just go through the motions?

It sounds like a permissions thing. What are the permissions at for other folders in your site? 777 or something else?

Any errors in the error logs. Both the forum error log and the site error log

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

NanoSector

Try to be sure you know where the options need to be...
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Nihtilan

sorry it took so long, i chmoded forum directory to 777, uninstalled and installed again, 1 error still remains.

Code (error log) Select
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this member  Nihilanth
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this IP address xx.xx.xx.xx 
  Reverse chronological order of list Today at 02:02:52 PM
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session ab62e581a65950acb2f038d62d8c7d29
Apply Filter: Only show the errors of this type Type of error: Undefined
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL
http://xxx/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install2;package=FixedSocialBookmarks.zip;pid=0
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
8: Undefined index: theme
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: /home/a8184398/public_html/Sources/Packages.php
Line: 935

Kays

Are you uploading the mod as a zip file? Mods don't need to be unpacked first.

How are you uploading the mod?

My Mods

Nihtilan

yes, I am uploading the mods as zip files and installing them after doing so through the package manager UI.

Kays

Ok, just checking. :)

Are there any files in the temp folder?

My Mods

Nihtilan

At the moment no, being a temporary directory, i guess they get deleted after installation finishes.

Kays

Darn, sometimes it remains.

From that part of the error message you deleted, it looks like it either can't open a required file in the temp folder. Or that file isn't there because it didn't unzip.

In the Sources folder, are there any files with a tilde (~) after them. These are backups created when a mod is installed.

My Mods

Nihtilan

I've got the problem sorted out and I've got a suggestion for SMF developers. You should review installation documentantion, because it realy doesn't say much, you should think of different aproach, step-by-step guide(and when i say step by step, I mean it)+screenschots if possible. The installation may continue dispite some chmod issues.

Thank you Kays for your help and time, thanks to you i figured out what to do.

Cheers!

Kays

Yes, the documentation can always be improved. The thing is finding people with the time and initiative to do it.

What did resolve this issue?

My Mods

Nihtilan

Tons of testing, error log reading, comprehending SMF platform ::) and a complete reinstall with new knowledge gained. To be honnest everything went well during the previous install, but nothing was working properly(theme was messed up, mods wouldn't install and so on). On the second install everything went perfect. I realy don't know what the issue could have been, but now it works like a charm.

As a conclusion to all I've said, the solution had something to do with directory/file permission. Probably forum got messed up while trying different solutions.

Kays

Chalk it up to server weirdness then.

I've seen similar happen. A fresh install in a new folder with a current database backup fixed the various problems

My Mods

Advertisement: