News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Willl it still work and minimum space

Started by daked, June 18, 2010, 05:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daked

i created a test forum on my current domain in a folder named forum(mydomain.com/forum)
but i will soon be moving to a new host and domain,will the forum still work on a whole new domain and host if i compress the forum folder,download,and extract  to my new domain's root.(mynewdomain.com)

what is the minimum hosting space that i  might need for a new forum?

flapjack

50MB should do, more if you want attachments. all data apart from attachments is being stored in database

CapadY

Only the forum folder isn't enough

You should also make a backup of the database.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

smp420

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out." -Jack Buck

daked

smp420

If yo have cpanel just go to backups and you can download a backup there or go to phpmyadmin and export it. You can also make one through the smf admin panel.
"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out." -Jack Buck

CapadY

I'll advise to use PHPMyAdmin. Normaly provided by your hosting provider in his CPanel

daked

so if i use smf admin to make a backup and download,then upload the backup to a whole new host and domain it will still work  :-\

smp420

Well you have to change the nameservers on the domain to those of the new host.

daked

i'm getting a new domain on a new host

CapadY

You cann't just copy the database, it should be imported. You're new host will also provide PHPMyAdmin to do so.

You should also have to run repair_settings (use SMF-search where to download) and you'll have to edit the template path's manualy via the forum admin panel.

When you are uing caching you'll have to edit cache-path in settings.php

Advertisement: