Long time member goes bad ~ restrict?

Started by Snowy, June 19, 2010, 09:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowy

I know this has been discussed, but I still haven't found the answer. I've tried everything already posted on this forum.

All of my topic areas are post based, All of my membergroups are post based, except one.
I have a membergroup called Restricted. It is in the Regular Groups list, not the post count based groups. This is for members who turn bad and I want to restrict their access.

The problem is, someone with a lot of posts can be placed in the Restricted membergroup and they can still see everything.

Restricted is a Private group type. It is invisible and is set to use Unique permissions. the list of visible boards for this group is set exactly as I want it. How can I force the Restricted membergroup permissions for a long-time member with lots of posts?

rd

I'm not sure if I understood you but:

Admin -> Member -> membergroup

Make the group requestable or make it so people with certain amount of posts are automatically placed into it.

If your worried about bad members then you can simply make another membergroup, take the rights abd access away from it and demote the bad members to it.

Antechinus

If you use Deny permissions instead of Disallow it should work.

Snowy

Quote from: Antechinus on June 19, 2010, 09:28:07 PM
If you use Deny permissions instead of Disallow it should work.

I did.

I also changed it to Requestable and the peson can still see the boards I don't want them to see. Their post count is over riding the Restricted membergroup settings....

rd

Can you please explain what you did and what you want? I kinda didn't understand that well, lol. The first two paragraphs messed me up.

Snowy

Quote from: Royalduke on June 19, 2010, 09:30:22 PM
Can you please explain what you did and what you want? I kinda didn't understand that well, lol. The first two paragraphs messed me up.

My forum is set up so every membergroup is post based, except the admin, mod stuff.
Anyway, all of my boards were set up so that only the membergroups I choose can see them.

Now... I have a mebmer that went bad and needs to be restricted. I don't want to ban, etc... just demote .....
So, I set up the membergroup "Restricted". The settings for that group are shown above.
I went through all of the board settings and made sure the "Restricted" membergroup was checked ONLY for the ones I would allow them to see.

The problem is, this member has so many posts that the post count is over riding the "Restricted" membergroup settings.
Does this explaination help?

Antechinus

Have you tried setting it as a primary group?

rd

Yeah, please put it as a primary group instead of a group dependent on post counts.

Snowy

It is listed under the "Regular Groups" header, not the "Post Count Based Groups"

rd

That's, weird... Maybe you can place that member on post moderation? Or enable the warning system and give him a good warning.

I think the problem you are facing is due to your configuation...

Snowy

Quote from: Royalduke on June 19, 2010, 09:46:06 PM
That's, weird... Maybe you can place that member on post moderation? Or enable the warning system and give him a good warning.

I think the problem you are facing is due to your configuation...

What is post moderation? I don't want to use the warning system.
I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with my configuration...

Antechinus

Try setting it as his primary membergroup in his account settings. See if that works. If you don't want to publicly embarrass him give the group an innocuous name.

rd

Post moderation is when all of his posts and topic have to be approved mu moderators or admins.

Snowy

Quote from: Antechinus on June 19, 2010, 09:54:26 PM
Try setting it as his primary membergroup in his account settings. See if that works. If you don't want to publicly embarrass him give the group an innocuous name.

When I do that, "Restricted" isn't in that list. Restricted only shows up in the "show additional groups" ....
He is currently in no primary membergroup, so it's going off posts I believe.

I don't want to publicly embarass the user. I wish there were a way so simply deny boards to members under the permissions tab from their profile.

Royalduke, I noticed that after I asked the question. That's under the warnings. I don't want to do that either. I just want him to not see certain boards.

CapadY

Denied permissions will always overrule permissions given by postcount membergroups.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Snowy

Quote from: capady on June 19, 2010, 10:01:55 PM
Denied permissions will always overrule permissions given by postcount membergroups.

I've denied permissions. The issue is, he can still see certain boards.

Snowy

Just for the sake of it, I went and created a new group and put that member in there.
I applied all the settings you guys said to that new membergroup and the same thing happened... the member is sti;ll able to see the boards I don't want him to see.

I believe it's because of his posts. I don't see any way to "DENY" a board... all you can do is make sure the membergroup name is unchecked when you set up which groups can see each board.

Now... how can I delete this usergroup I just created for test purposes?

Snowy

See...? This is what I'm saying:

Allowed Groups:
Groups allowed to access this board.
Note: if the member is in any group or post group checked, they will have access to this board.

Now how do I get this member OUT of post based?

SlammedDime

Here is a nice guideline to follow with post based groups:
All normal/regular permissions should be given through non-post based groups (normal membergroups)... any thing EXTRA that you want your users with XXXX such posts should be done through post count based groups.  I never use post count based groups to allow/disallow access to boards, I always use non-post based groups for that.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Snowy

Quote from: SlammedDime on June 19, 2010, 11:05:38 PM
Here is a nice guideline to follow with post based groups:
All normal/regular permissions should be given through non-post based groups (normal membergroups)... any thing EXTRA that you want your users with XXXX such posts should be done through post count based groups.  I never use post count based groups to allow/disallow access to boards, I always use non-post based groups for that.

So you would have to manually add someone to a membergroup that gives access to other boards, correct?

That isn't convenient for my forum. But I'm considering it.

ow.. how can I delete a membergroup name that isn't being utilized?

Advertisement: