News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Search Robots Question

Started by Spuds, June 20, 2010, 10:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spuds

I've read many posts on this topic but just can't figure how to set up what I have for what I want it to do!

I guess the basic question is how do you allow a guest to view a board but NOT allow bots to index those same  boards? 

The only reason I have guest access enabled was to allow RSS feeds to work, without guest access the feeds were blank for most users (I think Opera used the saved id/password to get in but most readers just went in as guest and got nothing).

Also the forum is in the root directory and I want to allow the bots to index the simple portal front page so there is at least a search engine hit, so I can't really do a disallow /

Thanks

busterone

There is no way that I know of to do what you want to do. The bots are treated no differently than any human guest. If a board allows guest viewing, the bots can view that board as well.

smp420

Its actually simple first make a new membergroup for spiders. Any permissions you don't want them to have deny the permission, You must use deny permissions or else they will still have permission as guests. Then go to Administration Center » Core Features  and enable Search Engine Tracking then go to Administration Center » Search Engines » Settings then where it says Apply restrictive permissions from group select the group you just made.
"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out." -Jack Buck

Advertisement: