News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Unable to login (among other things)

Started by marmotprincess, June 22, 2010, 07:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marmotprincess

Several days ago, I had a 1.0-something forum that suddenly broke (after working fine for months). Attempting to login produced "You need to fill in a username." Attempting to retrieve a password gave the standard timeout error. Attempting to register simply kicked one back to the front page of the forum.

After a bit of searching, I decided to upgrade to 1.1 to make it easier to possibly fix. The error continued, so I posted in http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=380717.0, which seemed to be the same problem as I've been having. With the suggestion to upgrade to 2.0RC3, I did.

The problem(s) continued.

So I installed SMF on another subdomain (forum2) on the same server, using the same DB (different prefix) and it worked fine.

Just for giggles, I changed forum2's SMF installation to point to the same prefix as the broken forum. Lo and behold, it worked!

"Ah ha! So there must be some odd snippet of code that escaped the upgrade process and is causing problems!" thought I. So I backed everything up in the original forum directory and carefully did everything I'd done for forum2. Fresh install, different DB prefix. With that going, I changed the prefix to what it was originally.

It broke.

But forum2 is still working. At this point, the only real differences between forum and forum2 is the number on the working URL. But the first doesn't work, while the second does.

I've cleared out my cookies several times, I've run repair_settings.php to change the cookies. I've switched back and forth between DB sessions and not... and I can't figure out what in the world is wrong. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

rd

I don't think I fully understood you. Anyways, if your 2.0 forum is broken then try running the full upgrade package from the download site.

CapadY

I dont know which files you have put back from the backup so, try to empty the forumcache.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Bigguy

Did you install any mods before it broke. ???

marmotprincess

No, there are no mods.

Both forum and forum2 are absolutely clean installs. They're both running off the exact same db (smf_*).

One is forum.mysite.com [nofollow] and the other is forum2.mysite.com [nofollow]

forum2 works. forum does not work.

Bigguy

Have you checked file/folder permissions and ownership. ???

marmotprincess

Yep. They're exactly the same. I find it really bizarre!

marmotprincess

I hadn't realized that the host was redirecting the forum subdomain to www.forum [nofollow] instead of just forum. I thought 'subdomain independant cookies' would fix that, though? Oh well, it's working now. :-)

Advertisement: