News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

phpBB to SMF: Smiley Problem

Started by Celtland, June 13, 2005, 07:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celtland

Hello, I am in the process of testing conversion from phpBB to SMF.  In the process I have encountered some errors.  The first came in Step 1 with several "not a valid stream resource" errors.  I found a post that said to chmod Settings.php to 777 - and that fixed the errors.  Should I change the permissions back to 644 now?  The next problem was the following:

Converting smileys...
Warning: copy(/home/modstoth/public_html/mttm_forums/Smileys/default/icon_biggrin.gif): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/modstoth/public_html/mttm_forums/phpbb2_to_smf.php on line 2589

Warning: copy(/home/modstoth/public_html/mttm_forums/Smileys/default/icon_smile.gif): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/modstoth/public_html/mttm_forums/phpbb2_to_smf.php on line 2589

Warning: copy(/home/modstoth/public_html/mttm_forums/Smileys/default/bonk.gif): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/modstoth/public_html/mttm_forums/phpbb2_to_smf.php on line 2589

Warning: copy(/home/modstoth/public_html/mttm_forums/Smileys/default/icon_can5.gif): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/modstoth/public_html/mttm_forums/phpbb2_to_smf.php on line 2589

Warning: copy(/home/modstoth/public_html/mttm_forums/Smileys/default/icon_sad.gif): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/modstoth/public_html/mttm_forums/phpbb2_to_smf.php on line 2589

... with a lot more errors afterwards - all in Smileys/default.  I took this to mean that the Themes/default folder needed to be allowed writing access and changed its permissions to 777 for the conversion - then changed it back to 755.  That seemed to fix it as all smileys made it over.  Was that the correct thing to do?
Is maith an scáthán súil carad.

A friends eye is a good mirror.

dtm.exe

Honestly, you should be fine leaving it at 777.  See "Why chmod 777 is NOT a security risk".

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=2987.0

-Dan The Man

Celtland

Thanks - that explains it very well.
Is maith an scáthán súil carad.

A friends eye is a good mirror.

dtm.exe

Advertisement: