News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Package manager doesn't work!

Started by Nihtilan, June 28, 2010, 09:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nihtilan

Hello there

I'm having some issues installing any addon/theme/etc. Everytime I try to install something i get this message:

Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

I have the temp folder in packages, all files and folders in main directory are chmoded to 777, so it should work, but it doesn't.

Any ideeas?

kat

Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

Did you try those?

Nihtilan

Yes and it doesn't work either... I posted here because I've already tried anything suggested by the forum software and it didn't work. I'm using SMF 2.0 RC 3

cicka

That temp folder you have in the Packages folder, does it get deleted by itself when you try to install mods?

I am asking because I had the same problem when I was testing Smf. Then after some searching I found this mod that solved the problem.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=724

One more question, when did this happen for the first time?

Nihtilan

Quote from: cicka on June 28, 2010, 10:55:08 AM
That temp folder you have in the Packages folder, does it get deleted by itself when you try to install mods?

I am asking because I had the same problem when I was testing Smf. Then after some searching I found this mod that solved the problem.

Actualy that's the only mod that i could install. But it's not an issue for me, folder doesn't get deleted.

cicka

Quote from: Nihtilan on June 28, 2010, 11:07:19 AM
Quote from: cicka on June 28, 2010, 10:55:08 AM

Actualy that's the only mod that i could install. But it's not an issue for me, folder doesn't get deleted.

Is this a newly installed Smf? Did it happen out of the blue or after some modifications were made to your forum or server?

Nihtilan

so, everything is back to normal out the blue! WTF? i've contacted my hosting provider asking if there were any modifications made to the server recent and he said no. so probably it's a SMF problem.

thx for all your replies.

Advertisement: