News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

special characters

Started by darber, June 29, 2010, 02:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darber

i was editing a language file last night...I copied the index.english file to a new file and renamed it to index.shqip and started to translate from then on.

I found out this morning that the following characters 'Ë, ë, Ç, ç" were lost in translation. Does anyone know how to fix this?

CapadY

Have a look at UTF-8

Is your database UTF-8 or not ?
Was the orriginal file UTF-8 ?
Is the new file UTF-8 ?
Is SMF set to use UTF-8

These settings should all be the same.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

darber

picture no.1 below shows the areas encircled where the errors occured...those words included the character 'ë'  in them...after I saved the file (offline - using a file editor) and re-opened it the next day, those characters were gone.

picture no.1

picture no.2 shows the character set of the database in phpadmin

picture no.2

picture no.3 shows the folders marked by question marks in the directory of filezilla ftp.

picture no.3

picture no.4 shows the language setting in my smf forum at the moment.

picture no.4

I can imagine something is not in synchronisation, although I don't know what exactly...but I was surprised this happened since I was working offline and not changing the files from my admin section of my smf forum.

CapadY

As far as I can see everything is set to UTF-8, except your language file's, those are ISO.

Load the English-UTF-8 language files and install and activate them, I think your problems will be gone then.

darber

I did a couple of smf installations on my website...but on the very first one I clicked the convert to utf-8 function not fully knowing what it was meant to do...after I did this, those questionmarks appeared in the FTP directories and the characters in the very first install got messed up big time...I try to revert this action but I didn't know how to do it...haven't been able to do it since...even with the fresh, newer smf version now installed, those question marks still appear in the FTP, which they didn't previous to the character set conversion.

I can understand what you're telling me to do, but I don't really know how to do this and why my problems will be gone?

I won't be using english as the forum language...do you think that if I change the settings in MySQL from UTF to ISO it will fix this problem?

CapadY

You can give it a try but I'm affraid not

darber

i tried a lot of things in combination, and nothing seems to work...when I change things to UTF-8, those special characters show up as question marks...

can anybody help me out?

darber

just a small update...

when I open the files through the file editor on my computer those characters are missing...

but after I opened the files through my admin panel, the characters are there.

so I'll follow the scent and see where it takes me...

Advertisement: