News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

General Error Log Question

Started by jay.clark, June 30, 2010, 07:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay.clark

I am getting a huge number of error log entries, it seems the same errors for both every user and guest that is on my system. They do not seem to affect system operation, but I sure would like to be able to figure out what is causing them.

My problem is that the error messages do not seem to have enough information in them to attempt to figure out what the problem causing them is.

Is there any kinda tutorial about a step by step process for figuring out what is causing a particular error message ?

Is there a particular area to ask questions about error messages?

A typical example of an error message would be:

8: Undefined index:  active_button
?topic=370.0

jayr
SMF 1.11- SMF 2.0 RC2/RC3 - - RSS Feed Poster 2.2,RSS Feeder 1.1.4, Downloads System Pro 1.0.17.1, SMF Classifieds 1.3.5, SMF Gallery Pro 3.0.2, SimpleDesk - Integrated Helpdesk for Simple Machines Forum 1.0 Felidae, Aeva Media 1.1b, Ultimate Profile     0.9, Google Analytics Code 1.1, Twitter and Facebook Publisher mod 2.4, Stop Spammer 2.3.7, SMF Links 2.2, Site map 2.1.2, AjaxChat Integration 3.2.1, Ad Management 2.3.6

SMF (Donated) SMF Links (donated) - Ad Manager (donated) - phpMyChat (donated)

CapadY

When you give the complete errormessage there will maybe someone able to help.
There is at least a location given where the error occured
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

jay.clark

Quote from: capady on June 30, 2010, 10:13:26 AM
When you give the complete errormessage there will maybe someone able to help.
There is at least a location given where the error occured

I am at a loss how to even start, I have cleared some errors in the past when I could see some kinda hint in the message, but this time around I am not sure if I am looking at a single error or a cascade of errors, what I think is a complete sample is below

SMF 1.11- SMF 2.0 RC2/RC3 - - RSS Feed Poster 2.2,RSS Feeder 1.1.4, Downloads System Pro 1.0.17.1, SMF Classifieds 1.3.5, SMF Gallery Pro 3.0.2, SimpleDesk - Integrated Helpdesk for Simple Machines Forum 1.0 Felidae, Aeva Media 1.1b, Ultimate Profile     0.9, Google Analytics Code 1.1, Twitter and Facebook Publisher mod 2.4, Stop Spammer 2.3.7, SMF Links 2.2, Site map 2.1.2, AjaxChat Integration 3.2.1, Ad Management 2.3.6

SMF (Donated) SMF Links (donated) - Ad Manager (donated) - phpMyChat (donated)

gbsothere

These errors appear to be connected with a Portal mod, although I don't see one listed in your sig.  (I'm afraid I don't see well.)   You may need to ask on the support thread for that mod.  :)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

CapadY

you have a problem in portalarticles.template.php
This file is not a part of default SMF, so the only thing I can suggest it's part of a MOD.
Try to find out from which MOD it's a part and contact the MOD-author.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Advertisement: