News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Help with Themes!

Started by glsforums, June 30, 2010, 06:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glsforums

No matter what I do... I'm unable to install a theme. ANY theme. After theme's installed and I change the theme to the installed theme.... everything looks like..... craigslist. For ANY theme. As if the theme I installed had NO content. All themes.... just blue and black text on a white background.

I seriously need to figure this out. PLEASE HELP!

Roph

Sounds like the paths are set incorrectly for your themes. The theme is sending the wrong URL to the browser for the CSS and so on. The themes are being installed if you're able to select them, but there is a misconfiguration in your forum's settings.

If you know your forum's path (this is NOT its url!), you could edit it manually via the admin panel. Go to the theme settings area (index.php?action=admin;area=theme;sa=list) and check the entries for the "Theme directory (templates):" fields. Click a theme name in this list to change these settings. Theme directories are sub-directories of the "/Themes/" folder.

The "Attempt to reset all themes" button might fix it for you, but if you have broken theme paths and you don't know why, then other settings could likely be amiss too. Have you moved your forum's location recently?

If you're still stuck, you could try using repair_settings.php.

glsforums

Maybe it's my server.... but I can't access any paths. All I'm getting is 404's. This is probably why the themes aren't "installing". While SMF can see the paths exist..... they don't appear to be accessible. But who knows, I'm very new to SMF. If it helps, here's where my forums are.

http://glsforums.com [nofollow]

Antechinus

I've merged your threads. If you want us to help you there are two things to remember.

1/ Do NOT start multiple topics for the same support issue. It wastes our time and effort (and often leads to confusion).

2/ Do not bump your topics in less than 24 hours. We are all volunteers and operate on all different time zones. 

Roph

Paths are different from URLs.

URLs are interpreted by your web server, and are accessible to outsiders. Paths refer to the actual file system on the server itself. Imagine if like browsing the files on your own computer. You cannot access things in the context of paths with your browser.

While your forum's URL is glsforums.com/index.php, its path might be something like /home/glsforums/public_html/index.php.

Try uploading repair_settings.php to the same location as your forum, and then going to glsforums.com/repair_settings.php.

glsforums

I'm not having any luck. I'm almost willing to let someone help me out. All I need to do is install the theme "Mobile".... that's all.

Roph

Not having any luck using repair_settings.php? Do you know how to use FTP? How did you initially install SMF?

glsforums

Yeah, very familiar with FTP.... tried using repair_settings.php .... but nothing worked. I still can't install a theme. No matter what I try.

glsforums

I really need someone to help me with this.... I don't know how to make it work. I confess. But I DO need to install a theme.

Antechinus

Is the Themes directory writeable? Are you using themes that are compatible with 2.0? Exactly how are you trying to install them?

glsforums

How do I verify it's writable? I'm just uploading the theme I downloaded to the themes directory via FTP. Attempting to "install" them.... it says they installed successfully, but when I go to select the theme for use on the site.... everything looks all "craigslisty" unless I'm using the default themes.... and yeah, they're 2.0 compatible. Again, I'm trying to use a theme called "Mobile"

Roph

You could verify that it's writable by using your FTP client and finding the Themes directory on your server, and then checking its permissions. They should be 755, or perhaps 777.

But it sounds like your theme dir is writable, if the install procedure completed and SMF is letting you select the theme.

Load up one of those themes and then view the source of the page. Search through it for "index.css", there should be only 1 result. Here's the simplemachines.org forum one:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://www.simplemachines.org/community/Themes/smsite2/css/index.css?rc3.2" />

As you can see, the /Themes/ folder is relative to the forum's root folder.

Copy the URL from your site's theme into your browser, and see if you get a 404 not found error. You could also copy the CSS URL here, maybe it'll shed some more light on what's going wrong.

glsforums

Ooo! Could it be an issue with my MySQL Database?

cicka

Quote from: glsforums on June 30, 2010, 09:44:50 PM
How do I verify it's writable? I'm just uploading the theme I downloaded to the themes directory via FTP. Attempting to "install" them.... it says they installed successfully, but when I go to select the theme for use on the site.... everything looks all "craigslisty" unless I'm using the default themes.... and yeah, they're 2.0 compatible. Again, I'm trying to use a theme called "Mobile"

Did you make sure to upload all the theme folder in the right structure? Also, can you try to install the themes directly from the Admin Panel and see if it would help.

Can you make a screenshot of the custom theme directory and post it here?

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Is this resolved? Do you require any further assistance with this?

Advertisement: