News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Mods INSTALL BUT DOESNT WORK(or SHOW)

Started by replica, July 02, 2010, 04:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

replica

Hello All,

I've been trying to install mods on my freshly installed SMF board. Since I am planning to install many mods, I'm using the PACKAGE MANAGER that comes with SMF installation to download & install mods. At first I had the problem of "Your package folder or its contents are NOT WRITABLE!". But I resolved it by creating a "temp" folder in "./Packages" & chmodding it to 777. Actually, to test our the mod installing, I chmodded ALL MY FOLDERS TO 777.

Well that solved the first problem I was facing. Now I was able to successfully download the mod packages(using Package Manager) & INSTALL THEM. Yes, I can INSTALL them & it shows a message that the mod has been installed successfully. But when I go to check the new effects, I am not able to see any changes, i.e.., it seems like the mods are not installed at all. But in the Package Manager, those mods that were "successfully" installed has a GREEN button next to it(which means, its installed). Also, when I try to UNINSTALL the mods, many errors are generated(I feel this is somehow related to the installation problem).

I've searched the forums here & found many users are having the same problem too. I've tried doing all the suggestions that were posted there, but all in vain.
I tried to clear CACHE, used CORE theme once, used DEFAULT theme once, I deleted EVERYTHING(including database & smf files) & re-installed the whole forums... But nothing helped.

Hopefully there is a solution to this problem, I am really waiting to install SMF forums & start my school forums!

All the information about my WEBHOST(FREE) & SMF is given below:

Webhost: hxxp:000webhost.com [nonactive]
Webhosting Type: FREE HOSTING
Webhost FTP: Able to connect successfully.
Webhost Database: MySQL. Created a new database while installing SMF & also made a user(with full permissions ofc)

Forum URL: hxxp:citech.site11.com [nonactive]
Forum Path: Its in the root directory itself, i.e.., /public_html/
Forum Version: SMF 2.0 RC3 (downloaded the package from SMF site)

Mods that I've tried till now:

• New Features/AJAX Chat Integration
  • Feature Enhancement/Member Color Link
  • Registration & Login/Caps Lock Detection on Login
  • Registration & Login/Select Online Status When Logging In
  • Administrative/No Temp Directory Removal*

* - I read some post in this forum that installing this mod might solve my problem. So tried installing it. It said "INSTALLED". But my main problem wasnt solved.

Kill Em All

Try CHMOD all your folders to 755 and all your files to 644.

Is there anything in your error log?
Admin>Maintenance>Error Log

Mod are always installed on the default theme and you have to manually make the custom edits to any custom themes you may have.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

replica

I think I got my mods to work now. But some mods, like AJAX Chat integration, installs but doesnt show up. But other than that mod, the other mods(listed in 1st post) are all working fine.

So, How did I solve the problem?(@Others who want to know)
I just used an FTP Client(ex: FileZilla, SmartFTP etc) to chmod all the folders, including Sub-Folders & Files inside those folders, to 777(for mod installation purposes only).(There is a separate option to do this in in any FTP Client). I think CHMODing the 'Sources' folder & its contents is very important here.
I think the host's FTP manager wasn't chmodding the files properly. After I used the FTP client, I was able to install the mods & also see the mod effects.

@Kill Em All
Thanks for the reply. No, there were no errors logged there.
I'm currently using only two themes, "Default Theme- Curve" & "Core". 90% of the time I'll be using the "Curve" theme.
So, do I have to do those manual edits if I am using "Default Theme- Curve" theme?

If the answer is NO, then you can prolly mark this as SOLVED.

Thanks.

Kill Em All

Nope. :)

Mods will be automatically installed onto the curve theme, you will have to manually add mods to the core theme. During the mod installation however, there is an option to install mods onto other themes, you can click that and the package manager will check for any tests failed on any possible file edits that maybe required for that theme. Please note that the Core theme has not been updated for 2.0 RC3 completely, so you may experience some trouble with it.

I am going to mark the topic solved, please feel free to unmark it solved if you have further questions. :)

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Advertisement: