News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Adding meta description

Started by punjablovers, July 03, 2010, 06:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

punjablovers

How and where mean in which file we can add meta description manually to get more visitors from search engine, there is a mod that allow you to add meta tags, is there any mod for adding meta description.

PurpleCrow

Now this is something I need to find out... At the moment google is grabbing something from my sidebar that doesnt have anything to do with the forum... Will get back to you if I find anything ;D
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

Forums Galore, a brand new Admin Forum is looking for staff to help with the launch. Send me a PM or sign up to Forums Galore if you're interested!

Add your forum to the Forums Galore Community Showcase

punjablovers

waiting for answer. i am using theme inferno.

aishaweb

am i missing something here?

v2 has this by default in the admin panel

PurpleCrow

Meta tags it does - not a description. Unless I've missed something in the ACP...

It can be done manually via you themes index.template.php file. Just search the file for "Meta" and enter what you want after the description content part of the code.
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

Forums Galore, a brand new Admin Forum is looking for staff to help with the launch. Send me a PM or sign up to Forums Galore if you're interested!

Add your forum to the Forums Galore Community Showcase

Joker™

Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Afro

Joker beat me to it, that mod will definitely do the job for you.

punjablovers

Quote from: PurpleCrow on July 03, 2010, 08:08:26 AM
Meta tags it does - not a description. Unless I've missed something in the ACP...

It can be done manually via you themes index.template.php file. Just search the file for "Meta" and enter what you want after the description content part of the code.

Can please you provide me the code, how and where you added that?

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Meta tag options already exist in the SMF admin area, but for more meta tags there is a mod just for that

SMF 2.0 RC5

Webhost to New Webhost file transfer service, PM me - Fast transfers

punjablovers

Quote from: ♪ JohnCcCcCc ♫ on July 03, 2010, 03:47:32 PM
Meta tag options already exist in the SMF admin area, but for more meta tags there is a mod just for that
This not tag, i am asking about description,

Joker™

Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1871

There is this mod also, it lets you add the description meta too, along with many more too

SMF 2.0 RC5

punjablovers

Quote from: ♪ JohnCcCcCc ♫ on July 03, 2010, 03:56:25 PM
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1871

There is this mod also, it lets you add the description meta too, along with many more too

Does it works with theme Inferno?

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

I don't know, try to download and install it, if there are any failed tests, we can help you get them manually edited

SMF 2.0 RC5

punjablovers

Installed properly, but after adding every thing in related fields, viewed the source of forum that is showing  forum name as meta description?

Afro

What did you fill in , in the meta description input field ?

punjablovers

Quote from: Afro on July 04, 2010, 04:58:01 AM
What did you fill in , in the meta description input field ?

some thing like
mysite.Com is about Personal Finance - Auto Insurance Quotes, Health, Term Life student loan consolidation info,alaska student loan consolidation,college consolidation loans,montana student loan consolidation,car insurance quotes,life insurance quotes,auto insurance quotes,auto insurance,insurance quotes,car insurance,term life insurance,humana insurance,car insurance rates,Kwik Fit Insurance,Donate Car,Cheap Life Insurance,laser hair removal,laser hair removal in manhattan,mesothelioma peritoneum,mesothelioma risk,lung mesothelioma,santa barbara jet charte,

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Maybe adding some spaces after the comma's would help lol

SMF 2.0 RC5

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Can we have your sitelink please ?

MrPhil

Quote from: punjablovers on July 04, 2010, 03:39:10 PM
some thing like
mysite.Com is about Personal Finance - Auto Insurance Quotes, Health, Term Life student loan consolidation info,alaska student loan consolidation,college consolidation loans,......snip......,Donate Car,Cheap Life Insurance,laser hair removal,laser hair removal in manhattan,mesothelioma peritoneum,mesothelioma risk,lung mesothelioma,santa barbara jet charte,

What the hell does lung mesothelioma have to do with personal finance? Just what your site is about? First of all, that's not a description -- that's a keyword list for a meta keyword tag. Second, it's going to kill your results on Google because there are keywords there that have nothing to do with the subject of your site. You're just stuffing keywords to hijack search engine results, and the gods of Google will be angered. Google does check to see if your listed keywords appear in your site, and will penalize you if they don't appear.

If you want a meta description tag, it would have the text for a search engine to show on the results page, rather than grabbing random text from your page. You have control over what the searcher sees for a description, such as "The Personal Finance resource for Punjabi residents. We can help you with insurance...". However, it is ignored for search results (as is the keywords tag), due to abuse by site owners.

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Seems like a MFA site to me, maybe support should stop here

Reported to moderator

SMF 2.0 RC5

Afro

Yea, looks like he/she searched for high paying keywords and stuffed them inside the description field.
^^^You need keywords that is related to your site contents.

punjablovers

Quote from: ♪ JohnCcCcCc ♫ on July 05, 2010, 02:31:25 AM
Seems like a MFA site to me, maybe support should stop here

Reported to moderator

This and not a MFA site, its an entertainment forum here is the link http://apnimastian.com,
My meta description is: Desi Masala Forum / Masala Forum, India Discussion Forum, huge and latest collection of indian celebrities photos, International Celebrities Photoshoot, Masala Videos, Fashion and Life Style, Free Mobile Stuff, Free Softwares, Free eBooks, Informative articles on Health and much more

so suggest me which keywords are best for me,
I got one thing more, when we open the post, it show post like this:
Post title and then forum title, but i did not want this?
please help me.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Can you take a screen shot and give us an idea of what are you talking about ?

punjablovers

I am attaching a screen shot of my forum, First one is of Home Page, Second is when we open any category or post, third and fourth are setting of Installed Mod, Now, please tell me what is the problem, when we open any thread, is shows whole title of forum after post title. please help, also after installing and adding of meta description, description is not showing any where when we view the source of forum?

Kill Em All

You have a lot of adverts. Just my opinion though.

<meta name="description" content="Desi Masala Board : Masala News : Celebrities Gossip : Magazines - Index" />

Your description shows just fine in the page source.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

punjablovers

but when we view any topic, forum title shows after topic title. check attachment  No. 2

Kill Em All

Yeah, thats completely normal. What do you want to do with it exactly?

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

punjablovers

Quote from: Kill Em All on July 18, 2010, 02:55:14 PM
Yeah, thats completely normal. What do you want to do with it exactly?
I want that when the topic / thread is open, Forum name did not show after post title.??

Kill Em All

I apologies, I thought that page was somewhere else, your adverts take up the whole attachment image.

I believe this is a theme thing, but can you check to see if it does that on the default theme. Just add "?theme=1" without the quotes after your domain.com/index.php.

punjablovers

Quote from: Kill Em All on July 21, 2010, 10:02:51 PM
I apologies, I thought that page was somewhere else, your adverts take up the whole attachment image.

I believe this is a theme thing, but can you check to see if it does that on the default theme. Just add "?theme=1" without the quotes after your domain.com/index.php.
I thinks this is not the theme issue, after adding :theme=1; every thing is same just theme is changed, forum title is showing after post title

Kill Em All

So you switched over to the default theme and it still has the same effect?

So when you to to the message index, you still see your forum name? If so, what mods do you have installed?

punjablovers

Quote from: Kill Em All on July 22, 2010, 12:46:32 PM
So you switched over to the default theme and it still has the same effect?

So when you to to the message index, you still see your forum name? If so, what mods do you have installed?

I have installed the Meta Data Mod

Kill Em All

That mod might be causing problems then. Have you tried uninstalling it and then seeing if the issue goes away?

punjablovers

Quote from: Kill Em All on July 22, 2010, 06:28:44 PM
That mod might be causing problems then. Have you tried uninstalling it and then seeing if the issue goes away?

Every thing was OK before installing this MOD.
How can i fix this, without uninstalling this mod????

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Attach your index.template.php file from your current theme, I will take a look

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=', $context['character_set'], '" />
<meta name="description" content="', $context['page_title_html_safe'], '" />', !empty($context['meta_keywords']) ? '
<meta name="keywords" content="' . $context['meta_keywords'] . '" />' : '', '
<title>', $context['page_title_html_safe'], '</title>';

This is the area I believe, you could switch it around the other way, since yours is modified, you should attach it

I have not messed with this template in a while though, their probably is a better way

SMF 2.0 RC5

punjablovers

Here is attached the required file, Thanks for looking into!!!!

Kill Em All

What mod was it that you installed? Can you please link us to the mod.

Thanks

Kill Em All

It looks like that mod isn't even installed on your index.template.php. Its possible that its custom edits were made to the custom theme. So that could be the problem. The edits were only made to the default theme, and the default theme still works fine and the way its suppose too.

Try using this index.template.php.

punjablovers

you mean that i replace the index.template.php with your attached template file?
your other point by using custom theme, i tried this on default theme too, and giving the same result.

Kill Em All

I'm sorry, lets clear up the issue. So you started to experience it showing the forum title while viewing a topic? And it just started doing this after you installed the MetaTags Modification Version mod?

So why don't you just uninstall it?

punjablovers

Quote from: Kill Em All on July 27, 2010, 06:23:38 PM
I'm sorry, lets clear up the issue. So you started to experience it showing the forum title while viewing a topic? And it just started doing this after you installed the MetaTags Modification Version mod?

So why don't you just uninstall it?

Its an entertainment forum and my main reason to install this mod was to adding meta description to more and more traffic from search on my main keyword, after installing this mod, i am getting nice traffic from search, problem is this when search engines crawl my topics they show the topic title but but they shows the main url i.e. mydomain.com not the topic url. That is the main that i want to fix this error.
Hope you will understand.

Kill Em All

You should probably ask the mod author then, cause this sounds like a def mod issue.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=315966.0

You can make a post there.

Advertisement: