Error "You need to fill in a username." (Semi-time-critical)

Started by cralor, July 03, 2010, 11:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cralor

Version: 2.0 RC3

Our site was working perfectly fine, but once I upgraded to Aeva Media 1.3a, things got wonky.

I searched around and tried different things. This is what I have already tried:

1) Clearing the 'smf_sessions' table ('Empty' phpMyAdmin function)
2) Clearing cookies
3) Deleting my cache
4) Running 'repair_settings.php'
5) Putting 'www.' before the board URL in 'Settings.php'

Here is my 'phpinfo()' file:
http://www.delibargaming.com/phpinfo.php

What else can I try? None of our users, including the Admins, can log into the site now. I cannot try repairing the boards or view the errors if I cannot log in.

Please help. This is a semi-time-critical issue.

Thank you.

CapadY

I think I would start uninstalling AEVA.
This is be done via FTP so you don't have to login
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

cralor

Hello. Thank you for the suggestion and sorry about the late reply.

I have commented out every file modification listed here: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=977 (And then click 'Parse')
This, unfortunately, has not fixed our issue.

What other recommendations might you have?

Thank you.

kat

cralor

I did not have any issues until upgrading from 1.1 to 1.3a of Aeva Media.

I uninstalled 1.1 and then installed 1.3a successfully. When uninstalling 1.1, there were some errors, saying that it could not remove some of the information on some of our files, but I assumed that since I would be reinstalling, this would be okay. I do not know if this specific issue is the cause of our login problems. Might this bring about any ideas?

Thank you.

kat

Yeah, I've got that.

Was the upgrade of that mod the last mod that you installed?

If it was, I have a way out, for you, possibly.

The BIG shame, is that people NEVER backup, before doing this kinda thing.

That would, of course, be the best solution.

cralor

I did have a Sources, index.php, and SSI.php backup, but after applying these older files, the issue still remains.

Do you think this is a file, mod, or database issue? My only worry is that even if I backup my database, save my Theme files, and re-install clean, that if I want to retain what I have currently, I will receive the same error message.

Could you shed a bit of light on this? I am totally fine with re-installing. The Theme files should not be harmed from this and the whole site look should retain. I just want to try and keep as much of the database as possible.

Thank you.

kat

One more try...

Was the upgrade of that mod the last mod that you installed?

cralor

Sorry.

Upgrading Aeva Media is the last mod install/upgrade that I did.

If you are asking "Was Aeva Media the last mod that you installed originally?" (which might be misunderstood from your question), then I do not remember. I believe that could be a No.

kat

Well, let's have a small pray and try this... Might be best to backup, first, just in case.

Inside your Packages directory, you'll find another, named "backups".

In there, you'll find, hopefully, a file named something like "2010-07-05_before_AEVA_upgrade.zip".

If you get that file and dearchive it, on your hard disk, you can upload all the files to your site, overwriting what's there, now.

That should put you back as you were, before you installed that mod.

Lesson learnt. In future, before adding ANY mods, or custom themes, BACKUP EVERYTHING, first.  ;)

cralor

Fortunately, this file was there.

Unfortunately, overwriting my current files with those has had no affect on the error. I am still receiving it :(

kat

I'm not sure what your error is, to be honest.

You say "things got wonky".

What do you mean, by that?

I just went to your site and it seems OK.

cralor

I cannot log in. That is the problem.

Sorry. I probably should have made it more clear. I did say "None of our users, including the Admins, can log into the site now.", though.

My error is the topic name. I receive this whenever anyone registered on my site tries to log in.

kat

Yeah, sorry... Men can't multitask.  :P

Can you PM me a username and password, so I can have a look?

I might be able to see something in the source.

kat

Actually, there's another symptom.

If you try to register, you click "I accept the terms of the agreement" and it takes you straight back to that same screen...

cralor

I believe there is something wrong with the PHP Sessions. If I try and do "Forgot your password?" I always get "Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again."

Also, you can simply login as Username: "SMF" Password: "SMF". Don't worry. This is not an actual account. The same error occurs even if there is no such account. You'll get the same situation.

Thank you for your continued assistance.

kat

If you could get into your forum, I'd suggest uninstalling AEVA, completely.

Sadly, you can't do that.

I thought, initially, "Get the virgin SMF install archive and upload all the files".

I somehow doubt that'd help, though, with this.

Assuming you have FTP access, have a look in the root of your site, where settings.php is.

You'll see a directory named "cache".

Try deleting everything inside that.

cralor

I deleted the 'cache' folder entirely already. (And doesn't look like it'll come back until we fix the issue.)

kat

My brain hurts...

This is just a hunch, this...

Try going to your site's cpanel and repairing the database.

xenovanis

K@,

If I may (might?) make a suggestion... Before you start poking around in the database, try this

Code (MySQL) Select

UPDATE `smf_settings` SET `value` =  '1' WHERE `smf_settings`.`variable` = 'theme_allow';

After that try accessing the forum using the default theme (?theme=1). Maybe it's the code for the update added or not added to the custom theme that's causing this.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Advertisement: