News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Getting hammered with spams through personal messages

Started by tareko, July 04, 2010, 02:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tareko

This is not funny anymore. I have set up the posts to enter the visual verification when sending personal meesages and still they spam my members like crazy. I am so pissed off at those low life spammers. Is there a mod that I can read the private messages? I have been told to look at them at the database but I dont know how. I am a total noob. Or is there a mod to replace that posts for visual verification? Where members under a certain post count cant send personal messages. They will see an error message that says Sorry member name. You must have 20 posts to send Personal Messages. But I dont want the admins to be affected by this because I will set the number higer than some of my admins posts. I would be very grateful if someone can show me where to find these mods.

Cheers

kat

Nobody at SMF will tell you how to read private messages, coz we believe they are exactly that. Private.

Why not limit the number of messages that people can send?

If you set registration to "By approval", you'll stop loads.

xenovanis

In permissions, you can disallow sending personal messages based on postcount. Try using that for your 'newbie' group.

On my forum, it's set that users in the group with less than 2 posts can't send peronsal messages.

Also, you might try using reCaptcha rather than the default visual verification.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

sAce

1. SMF doesn't provide any option or mods for reading/viewing members PMs.

2. PM Security can be added to stop this ( captcha verification )

3. No PM permissions can be set for member groups from ACP > member groups > permissions area.

cicka

Reading members private messages would be a breach of privacy. You can tell them to report the spam pm or any other pm they find offensive through the report button.

For the second part of your reques I can help you. At the Subs-Post.php file in the Sources folder find this code.

// Send off a personal message.
function sendpm($recipients, $subject, $message, $store_outbox = false, $from = null, $pm_head = 0)
{
global $scripturl, $txt, $user_info, $language;
global $modSettings, $smcFunc;

And below add this code

if(!$user_info['is_admin'] AND $user_info['posts'] < 20)
{
fatal_lang_error('pm_error_msg');
}

Then at the Modifications.english.php file in the languages folder add this code.

$txt['pm_error_msg'] = 'Sorry '. $context['user']['name'] .'. You must have 20 posts to send Personal Messages.';

This will do exactly what you asked. I tested it at my test forum with my test account and it works fine. You can see an example at the screenshot below.

The Adminstrators are exluded from this. At the example above I set the post number to 20, but you can increase and decrese it as you wish.

I hope this will help in cutting down the spam at your forum.

tareko

That worked like a tread chika. Thank you vey very much. Creating an extra group only to disallow them the use of pm was out of question for me because I have too many as it is. One more question, if I want to change the error message I must change it at the language modification file, correct?

cicka

Yes, you can change the error message at the Modifications.english.php file. This part here, '. $context['user']['name'] .' is the part of here the name of the user is displayed.

You are welcome and it is cicka by the way and not chika :)

tareko

Sorry for misspelling your name cicka. Can you make this into a regular mod package that I can install it with the package manager please? I can pay you for your time.

cicka

Quote from: tareko on July 18, 2010, 05:24:29 AM
Sorry for misspelling your name cicka. Can you make this into a regular mod package that I can install it with the package manager please? I can pay you for your time.

Of course. Allow me several days and I will package it up. And it will be for free. I do this because I enjoy and not for the money.

Advertisement: