News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Mods problem

Started by TecKtoNiK.z0r, July 09, 2010, 06:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecKtoNiK.z0r

I can't install install any mods . It says this:

An Error Has Occurred!
You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

I checked with filezilla and permisions were 777 at packages. What's my problem ??

rd

Please create a folder named "temp" with out the " marks inside the package directory and give it 777 permission as well.

TecKtoNiK.z0r

rd

Now try installing.

Make sure the 777 temp dir is inside the package dir.

TecKtoNiK.z0r

Thanks , and now ( it's about simple portal )... how do i make the portal apear ?

gbsothere

Just glancing in and curious about something, TecKtoNiK.z0r....

If you're using RC3 and you got an indication that the mod was installed successfully after creating the "temp" directory, would you mind pulling one of the files off your server that the mod you installed was supposed to have edited and just check it to see if the edits are there?  Also, if the mod was supposed to add its own files to your directories, would you check to see if it really did?  (I'm just following an issue with RC3.)

:)

(If you're not using RC3, please disregard.)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

TecKtoNiK.z0r

Version Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0 RC3
Current SMF version: SMF 2.0 RC3
(more detailed)

Forum Administrators: Andrei

gbsothere

Quote from: TecKtoNiK.z0r on July 09, 2010, 08:33:36 AM

Version Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0 RC3
Current SMF version: SMF 2.0 RC3
(more detailed)

Forum Administrators: Andrei

Thanks, TecKtoNiK.z0r.   Are you able to access your forum's files with either ftp or your control panel?  If so, can you confirm that the package manager actually did place the mod's edits in the particular files it uses or that any custom files the mod includes were placed in the proper directories? 

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

rd

Do you see tge simpleportal tab in your admin center?

If you do then it's most likely installed.

TecKtoNiK.z0r

gbsothere i don't speak english as a foreign language , so i can be a bit of a headake ... Can you be more simple ? Thanks for the time .

LE: I realized what did you told me to do. :)) Now please wait for a later post. BTW it has installed but it doesn't have any effect on the forum ...  :'( 

gbsothere

Quote from: TecKtoNiK.z0r on July 09, 2010, 09:47:25 AM
gbsothere i don't speak english as a foreign language , so i can be a bit of a headake ... Can you be more simple ? Thanks for the time .

Sometimes English is a foreign language to me, as well, and I'm American.   :D

Well, first, I guess you'd better do as Royalduke suggested and see if the Simple Portal tab is visible in your admin center.

TecKtoNiK.z0r

Offtopic : i am romanian , so put yourself in my place :D :))
ON: Nope , i can't spot it

I think you are right , i doesn't replace those files X(

gbsothere

Quote from: TecKtoNiK.z0r on July 09, 2010, 10:00:57 AM
Offtopic : i am romanian , so put yourself in my place :D :))
ON: Nope , i can't spot it

That's what I was afraid of.  (Not the Romanian part, the not being able to see the tab part).  HA! 

I'm suspecting that if your experience with RC3 is turning out to be like mine, while testing it, that the package manager is causing the problem and not really installing the mod, even though it says it is, once you create the "temp" folder. 

Would you be willing to provide a test admin account to your forum in a personal message (not here on this thread) that you can delete, later, so that I can look around to see if I can spot the mod?  If it's not there, the next step would be to look at your files, which would require the ftp username and password.  Before you share that sort of information with me or anyone else, though, please take a look at this link:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=87130.msg575795#msg575795

gbsothere

*leaving this, since I can't avoid having to leave for just a bit*

@ TecKtoNiK.z0r, I left a message on your site but, if you miss it, contact your server and ask them if SafeMode PHP is turned on.  If it is, it needs to be turned off.

@ everyone else...

RC3:  TecKtoNiK.z0r is creating the "temp" directory with correct permissions but, just like my test board, the package manager is giving a "successful" installation message but is not editing the files or placing the mod's included files into the proper directories. 

TecKtoNiK.z0r

If someone knows a simple solution to my problem please post here !!!

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

- What is your forum language ?
- Are you using a custom theme ?

TecKtoNiK.z0r

English
Default ( i just finished installing it )

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

So the mod gives the message that it is installed well? but the forum does not show any change?

Can you link us to your forum please ?

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Do you see any errors in the error log just after the installation of SimplePortal ? The mod codes don't seem to be applied at all on your website.

Advertisement: