so i did a fresh install, new database etc...

Started by Nickhead, July 09, 2010, 05:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickhead

and like my previous install, why under admin>languages>edit  it lists three pages of languages, but each page is a duplicate of page one?

also, why is it any time english utf8, (which i plan to delete, because of this issue), all of a sudden images, and options disappear?

my plan, because i had registered members, that as guests can browse the forum in english, once they log in, they get an albanian translation, is to delete all languages except english...

will this cause any issues with functionality?

2.0 rc3

no modules installed

.Org, .Net, .Com

Nickhead

i would also like to ask, is there a certain order in which makes it easier for modules to install?

for example:

bbc modules, since they are for the post page, should you add those modules before you add say, security questions to the same post page?

or avatars, does it matter if you upload avatar packages, before or after say, the ultimate profile mod is installed?

.Org, .Net, .Com

Nickhead

aha, i see where, but i do not know why, nor why i couldnt replicate in the previous install... but...

again, under profile>account settings>preferred language>albanian?

why when i set everything to english on installation of 2.0 is it putting it at albanian? again, this is the default installation.

.Org, .Net, .Com

Nickhead

so, in the admin>languages section.

note, i did NOT select anything as default, and nothing was selected.  i clicked on the word 'english'  (was actually listed as a utf file), the profile came up for the language.  again i did NOT select or save anything.

all the while, no option for plain 'english' was available.

a few minutes later, i go back to this section, and 'english iso xxx' is ticked as the default.  NOW the preferred language under account settings instead of reading albanian now reads english.

there are still three pages of duplicated languages tho too.

.Org, .Net, .Com

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Did you by any chance install SMF via some autoinstaller? It fills in with a huge number of language packs by default. One of them would be english and another one would be english-utf8.

UTF-8 Readme

Nickhead

i just used the install.php function provided by smf for 2.0.  that being said, the base install was for 1.1.11 via fantastico.

i know this much, ever since i found smf, english utf 8 causes too many problems.  even a simple inadvertent  switch from english to utf can break the forum, ie missing buttons to navigate your forum.

.Org, .Net, .Com

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

If you are using UTF-8, then you need the specific language pack for it. If you don't have them, then you'll have the problems you have mentioned. So it is vital that you use them.

If the base install was fantastico, it would have added in quite alot of other language packs by default. I suppose that is what you are trying to get right off?

Delete the unwanted language packs from ./Themes/default/languages and it will remove the languages from the dropdown in server settings.

Advertisement: