News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Figuring out how Smileys work?

Started by anidea, July 10, 2010, 09:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anidea

So far our SMF forum is AWESOME!!!!

I do have a few questions, though.  I've tried searching, but seem to miss the terminology a bit.

First up: Smileys.  I've installed a bunch of awesome Smiley packs.  And when I do, users can change their default smileys.  But the way it seems to work is that you see what your smiley pack is set to.  This isn't quite what I was looking for.

What I was hoping for was to have a default set of smilies, but then have users have access to more smilies, either through bbcode or a popup, or whatever...so that everyone would see what they were posting.

As an example, the Fantastic smilies pack has 150 smilies in it.  But when I install the fantastic pack, I can only see the default replacements.  How do I make it so we can see the rest 100+ smilies?

Do I need code/mod to create a smilie popup box or something?  Can someone tell me the name of it? 

Our forum is running smoothly as SMF2 RC3.

Moderators: If I'm posting this in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it.  Thanks!

Deaks

have you read the Online Manual, simply you need to add more smileys to the existing pack and then in smiley pack section of the smileys you are using add new ones
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

anidea

Quote from: Runic on July 10, 2010, 10:15:47 AM
have you read the Online Manual, simply you need to add more smileys to the existing pack and then in smiley pack section of the smileys you are using add new ones
Yes, I added the packs...and now users can choose their own default packs.  BUT what do you do to get more options with the same pack?  Unless I'm really missing something...I can be thick-headed sometimes, maybe I read it but didn't understand?  :-\

anidea

I think I'm about to give myself a big DUH---

Is this what I've been looking for?

* Code - Enter here the code you wish to be typed in for the smiley to be shown in a post.
    * Tooltip or description - Enter the description of the smiley so when a mouse hovers over it it will show it.
    * Location - Choose from "Post form", which will show a clickable smiley right on the posting screen. "Hidden", which will not show the smiley anywhere but instead can only be used when the smileys code is typed in. "Popup", which will show the smiley in a popup box if the user clicks on the link for additional smileys.

:o

But to further this question...a package like Fantastic Smileys with 150 smilies in it, they have to be all done individually?  over 100 smilies entered one by one?

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

anidea

anidea

Okay, I think we got the smilies installed.  But I don't quite understand how they work.  Maybe I'm being thick here?  Can someone give me a technical explanation?

I uploaded all the smilie sets into different folders.  Then went to the smiley page.  I set Fantastic as default.  We get quite a lot of them available, but switching sets ends up with missing smilies.  The weird thing was that the board automatically imported the first 16 of each set, but then I had to go to Admin to get the extended ones (I didn't have to do it one smilie at a time, just one pack at a time--it was "click here to import the rest of the smilies" or something like that).

So if I set Fantastic smilies as the default ones, they end up in the default folder?  Or does it work off the Fantastic folder? 

If I wanted to add more smilies to the Default pack, would I FTP them to the Fantastic directory or the Default folder?  What is the difference?

Is it better to have one folder with a bunch of smilies in it, or is it better to have several folders with different smilies in them?

And instead of doing all this through the interface, which is rather cumbersome, can I just write queries to put stuff on popup vs. forum, etc?  doing it by hand was not fun lol and I'm a database person, so I'm always wanting to write queries :D

To summarize my questions: 1. what is the best folder layout, 2. how does importing work, exactly (ie. what tables are involved) and 3. I think there's a 3 but I'm sooo confused I'm not sure what it is right now.

Advertisement: