News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Database Problems

Started by xertech, July 10, 2010, 09:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xertech

Hello All and thanks in advance for any help you provide..   

My problem is this , my original database name was over 16 letters long..  i/e  *******_smf*******  , the new host has a limit of 16 ( Database name cannot be longer than 16 characters.)   Are there any migration programs that will convert everything over or can I shorten the database name without any errors ?     

signed Screwed !

busterone

The database data is what is important, not the name. You can create a new database on your new host using whatever name you choose, then import the data from the former database. After your forum files are transferred to the new host, you can correct the database name by uploading repair_settings.php to your forum root and run it to correct the db name/password/server name differences.

repair_settings.php can be found on this page-
http://download.simplemachines.org/?tools

CapadY

Use Find and replace to rename the database in the MySQL backup file before you restore the backup
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

xertech

Thanks for the quick response , I created another database and imported the data from my old file ..  Only problem is all the data isn't being imported .  It gets to the 45 table (after spider hits) and stops .  The tar file is 5mb ,  .   I know it's all there ..   Is there a way to check the database for errors ?

cicka

Quote from: xertech on July 11, 2010, 09:10:57 AM
Thanks for the quick response , I created another database and imported the data from my old file ..  Only problem is all the data isn't being imported .  It gets to the 45 table (after spider hits) and stops .  The tar file is 5mb ,  .   I know it's all there ..   Is there a way to check the database for errors ?

Do you get any errors?

xertech

QuoteError

SQL query:

INSERT INTO `xmf_log_spider_hits` (`id_hit`, `id_spider`, `log_time`, `url`, `processed`) VALUES (751539, 1, 1262892074, 'a:4:{s:5:\"board\";i:5;s:5:\"topic\";i:433;s:4:\"wap2\";s:0:\"\";s:10:\"USER_AGENT\";s:100:\"DoCoMo/2.0 N905i(c100;TB;W24H16) (compatible; Googlebot-Mobile/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)\";}';, 1), (751540, 1, 1262892100, 'a:4:{s:5:\"board\";i:3;s:5:\"topic\";i:812;s:9:\"prev_next\";s:4:\"next\";s:10:\"USER_AGENT\";s:72:\"Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)\";}';, 1), (751541, 1, 1262892108, 'a:4:{s:5:\"board\";i:4;s:5:\"topic\";i:399;s:9:\"prev_next\";s:4:\"prev\";s:10:\"USER_AGENT\";s:72:\"Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)\";}';, 1), (751542, 1, 1262892114, 'a:3:{s:5:\"board\";i:12;s:5:\"topic\";i:105;s:10:\"USER_AGENT\";s:169:\"SAMSUNG-SGH-E250/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Browser/6.2.3.3.c.1.101 (GUI) MMP/2.0 (compatible; Googlebot-Mobile/2.1; +http://www[...]

MySQL said: Documentation
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''a:3' at line 68

cicka

From the error discription the 'a:3 part is missing the rest of its code. But I do not think that table is vital for your forum, so you can truncate and try to import the database again.

xertech

How would I empty the table before I reload ?

cicka

You can remove the whole INSERT INTO `xmf_log_spider_hits` deal from the backup file for example.

CapadY

The most of the smf_log_*** files can be skipped when you make a backup or want to do a removal.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

xertech

QuoteCREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `xmf_log_spider_hits` (
  `id_hit` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `id_spider` smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `log_time` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `url` text NOT NULL,
  `processed` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`id_hit`),
  KEY `id_spider` (`id_spider`),
  KEY `log_time` (`log_time`),
  KEY `processed` (`processed`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 AUTO_INCREMENT=1124504 ;

--
-- Dumping data for table `xmf_log_spider_hits`
--

INSERT INTO `xmf_log_spider_hits` (`id_hit`, `id_spider`, `log_time`, `url`, `processed`) VALUES
(382129, 1, 1240272037, '', 1),
(382128, 1, 1240271912, '', 1),
(382127, 1, 1240271730, '', 1),

This is what were talking about ?

xertech

I appreciate all the help , you guys are on top of your game !    Once in my life I got lucky , the hosting company had a backup of the database and installed it for me..   

THANKS AGAIN ! 

xertech

Here's a few things I learned about databases and hopefully this will help someone else ..

1:  always verify your backup by reloading it and making sure you have no mistakes .

2: empty out the large log files before you backup ..  My spiderlog was so large that it messed up my database backups .   it was never able to finish the compression because the log was to large ..

3:  backup at least once a week , larger forums everyday . Use the nice java GUI  interface located on the download page .

4: the last resort , contact your hosting company and check for a backup ..

busterone

Indeed. I backup at least every other day, and daily if I make changes. I always make sure all the logs are cleared before the backup. I clear them on a regular basis anyway though. Also optimize tables, and check for errors before the backup.  :)
Glad you got it working.

Advertisement: