Upgarde SMF1 to SMF2 the easy way...

Started by Calzone, July 11, 2010, 09:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calzone

I've installed SMF2 on a new separate sub domain and made a "full" setup (logo, packs and all except old messages (forums and permissions) and users).

Now how do I export forums and users from SMF1 to SMF2? Do I really need to upgrade the SMF1 to SMF2 and do a manual export/import of the DB?

Edit:
This took forever but it worked. I went manual all the way:
Installed the SMF2 as I needed it to be with mods and settings.
Upgraded the old SMF1 to SMF2,
Exported the db containing users and messages.
Imported them into ,y new SMF2.

Long and hard but it worked.
Greetings
Calzone

cicka

Quote from: Calzone on July 11, 2010, 09:49:18 AM
I've installed SMF2 on a new separate sub domain and made a "full" setup (logo, packs and all except old messages (forums and permissions) and users).

Now how do I export forums and users from SMF1 to SMF2? Do I really need to upgrade the SMF1 to SMF2 and do a manual export/import of the DB?

The best way to do it is as described in the online manual.

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=3.0;sort=subject

Calzone

Nice.. could you please give me a direct link to where it reads how to import 1.x forums and users from another database into 2.x.... Hint: It's not there.
Greetings
Calzone

kat

You can't import v1.x databases into v2.x installations. They simply won't work. Nor vice-versa.

Backup EVERYTHING!!

Upgrade.

The upgrade upgrades the database, as well.

You can then export v2.x database to the new upgraded one, if that makes sense...

CapadY

Importing messages and members from SMF1.1.x to SMF2.x is impossible. Fieldnames as wel as field types in the database are changed.

The only way is upgrading the database from 1.1 to 2 with the upgrade package.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Calzone

Crap... That was what I was trying to avoid... Now I will have to do a manual database import to make sure old mods don't leave old unused data.
Greetings
Calzone

cicka

Quote from: Calzone on July 11, 2010, 12:14:12 PM
Crap... That was what I was trying to avoid... Now I will have to do a manual database import to make sure old mods don't leave old unused data.

If you uninstall the mods before you upgrade, then all the edits they have made will be undone automatically.

Calzone

Quote from: cicka on July 11, 2010, 12:18:37 PM

If you uninstall the mods before you upgrade, then all the edits they have made will be undone automatically.
Please... read what I'm writing. I want to make SURE... Would you trust the uninstall? And I don't care about the edits. I care about the database.
Greetings
Calzone

kat

Depends on who you are, in a way.

Take Windows. I NEVER upgrade.

I always format and start from scratch.

I'll probably do the same, if I ever "upgrade" to SMF v2.

As Cicka suggested, I'd uninstall all the mods, particularly as most of them won't be compatible, anyway.

Then, I'd delete all the themes, for the same reasons.

Then, I'd upgrade and install themes and mods.

Yes, there may still be remnants of mods in the database.

So what?

SergeantAsh

I'm kinda with the OP here, when I eventually upgrade from 1.1 RC2 to 2.0 RC3/Final I want to take the opportunity to clean up the DB - uninstalling mods (in my experience) very rarely undos the DB alterations so as to allow the mod to be upgraded/reinstalled at a later stage retaining data.

I will face this challenge soon, it would be a lovely feature if you could build a fresh install of 2.0, tell the new install where the old DB is, and the installation would pull the data it expects into a new DB rather than upgrading/altering the old DB, that would also mean that redundant columns would be left behind.

I am right in assuming this is impossible?
Quote"Moderation has been called a virtue to limit the ambition of great men, and to console undistinguished people for their want of fortune and their lack of merit."

CapadY

Quote from: cicka on July 11, 2010, 12:18:37 PM

An uninstall of a MOD will nearly never undo database changes. So polution of the database isn't undone with it.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Calzone

Quote from: @sh on July 13, 2010, 08:59:19 AM
I am right in assuming this is impossible?
Nothing is impossible if it can read from one db it can read from another...
Greetings
Calzone

Advertisement: