News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Email issues using default PHP settings

Started by jgmayes, July 18, 2010, 05:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgmayes

I have been fighting an issue all day today and hope that I can get some help from here. I have two seperate forums (both on linux servers) one of which I can get the default php mailing system to work without an issue, the other worked last night but this morning decided to stop working????

The error that I get is:

• ---?action=admin;area=news;sa=mailingsend
    Unable to send mail to the email address '[email protected]'

As I said I have another forum (tester) that is on a different Linux server (both through godaddy) and it works just fine. I have compared all server settings (same) and all phpinfo (all same) and found nothing.

I have changed the one that is not working to 'SMTP' and used the relay-hosting.secureserver.net [nofollow] setting for now. However this restricts the emails to 1000/day and I would like to send my newsletter to all members...

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

gbsothere

If in Admin==> Server Settings, your "Webmaster Email Address" is tied to a Gmail account, have a look at this thread (a tip for setting up a Gmail account on SMF).

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=343385.msg2318702#msg2318702

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

jgmayes

Quote from: gbsothere on July 18, 2010, 06:13:42 PM
If in Admin==> Server Settings, your "Webmaster Email Address" is tied to a Gmail account, have a look at this thread (a tip for setting up a Gmail account on SMF).

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=343385.msg2318702#msg2318702

The webmaster account is set up as '[email protected]'

xenovanis

So, how comes SMF thinks it's a gmail account then?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

jgmayes

The gmail account is not the webmaster account it is the email I am attempting to send the email to.

xenovanis

Sorry, missed my coffee this morning  :P

If it worked last night, and doesn't work now without you having changed anything, I guess the obvious thing would be to ask your host what changed.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

jgmayes

Well this all of a sudden started working again on it own late last night. I spoke with godaddy and (of course) they said that it was nothing on their end because I was able to use the SMTP (hosting-relay) setup. According to them it had to be something with the email script that SMF was using.

Nevertheless it is working again and I now know of a work around that will give me 1,000 emails a day in case I need it. This will not work well for newsletters however will cover the other tasks if I lose PHP email again.

End result: I have no idea why this stopped working and started working again. However it is working...

Thanks.

eolith

I just wanted to report that I am having the exact same problem with GoDaddy. It was working for 15 months, then suddenly no one is receiving email. I haven't identified the problem yet. It was intermittent for a bit, now it's not working again. I guess it's the host... yay, have to call GoDaddy...

Advertisement: