News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Two forums from same SMF?

Started by fangedgamer, July 19, 2010, 06:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fangedgamer

Is it possible to have to forums linked from the same SMF?
Like... I am making a forum for normal social, but we also have a popular forum text based rpg game played by the members. 
What I want to do is possibly have my menu looking like this:
----------------------
  Forums  | RPG
----------------------

When they press RPG, it changes the theme and hides all the other boards and shows only the RPG board.

Is this possible?  I would like my RPG in another section with a nice fantasy RPG theme and without the clutter of the other catagorys, but without making members sign-up twice and having me make 2 different forums.

Edit - Also, if the above is possible, how would I make a dropdown menu from RPG that could link to a page with rules and stuff?

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

So,

You want another button, like the Home, Forum, Help, Search....etc.. buttons called RPG, and then that will link to a page outside of SMF but require the user to still login using their username on the forum?

Or..
You simply want 2 forums, but want the logins to work on both forums? one regular forum and one RPG forum and a button like above?

SMF 2.0 RC5

Webhost to New Webhost file transfer service, PM me - Fast transfers

fangedgamer

Quote from: ♪ JohnCcCcCc ♫ on July 19, 2010, 08:05:00 PM
You simply want 2 forums, but want the logins to work on both forums? one regular forum and one RPG forum and a button like above?
I'd like this. 

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: fangedgamer on July 19, 2010, 08:49:28 PM
Quote from: ♪ JohnCcCcCc ♫ on July 19, 2010, 08:05:00 PM
I'd like this. 

Its been asked before, I do not believe anybody has ever pursued it, however, in theory, it is possible, its like a complete rewrite of a lot of the forum.

Basically, what would be happening is you would have to forums sharing the SMF members table, possibly more, so one forum can remain unmodified, while another will have to use another database for the members (the one the other forum is using) and then its own database for the rest, coding for that would be a monster..

SMF 2.0 RC5

fangedgamer

Ohh... That's a lotta work... and I have no idea how to code xP.

I'll probably just make a board catagory for the RPG.. Thank you for your help.  ^.^

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

You could add a tab to take you to that category, seems pretty pointless though. (I know you asked for a tab/button)

One day, someone with the courage and time may very well make a mod for this purpose, I don't know if that's even possible, but PHP/MySQL manages to surprise me with new things (new things to me) like everyday.

SMF 2.0 RC5

Yahmez

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Not exactly what he wants, but its pretty close, never noticed that mod their,
*bookmarks*

SMF 2.0 RC5

KensonPlays

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

CapadY

It shouldn't hide other boards but you can select a theme for every specific board in board settings.
In that way at least a part of your wish is fullfilled.

When you put mebers in an formum-membergroup or a RPG-membergroup you can even hide the forum boards for RPG-members and hide the RPG-board for forum-members.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Advertisement: