News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Strange SMF 2.0RC3 Behaviour

Started by MentaL, July 19, 2010, 08:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MentaL

Hi there!

I've already got a topic opened here, over at the Convertion help section: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=391593.0

But since I've encountered a few new problems, I'm going out on a limb here to try and get some kind of information about it.

I've been using SMF 1.x for a long time, and recently started messing around with SMF 2.0, on my previous webserver I had it running for a long time without there being any problems or issues occuring whatsoever, now I've started another webserver project for myself and a few friends on a VM Host and it seems that ****** just hit the fan instantly.

I were converting our old forums (phpBB3) to SMF 2.0 RC3 because I absolutely adore it and like the features, the convertion went fine and all, but when I converted the database for a second time (I forgot to do a clean install of SMF), it seems like everything went wrong.  Category and Board ID's are spinning out of control, varying from 1 to 12, then jumping up to voer 30 and 60.

I tried running the beta tool, recount_categories but it didn't do jack.  I've been experimeinting around the website, and it looks like ordering categories and boards are not functioning anymore.  They appear to be right in the Admin panel, but when you navigate back to the actual forum index, the boards auto arrange themselves without having some kind of order to them at all, the same goes for Categories.  They won't budge.

Now, I tried to get away from this problem by creating a new Category, then, creating a new board within this new category but now it won't let me navigate to the add board section, however, it will allow me to create new boards in the categories that was brought over from phpBB3.

I've got no real clue what to do here guys, except, manually going into MySQL and re-stating all Category and Board ID's, then re-hook the topics and messages corresponding to their respective boards, but it seems to be a lot of work to do that, just to get it working again.  If that's even the problem.

Have you guys been into this problem before?
- MentaL

gbsothere

I'm sounding like a broken record around the forum today, and this may not apply here, but check to see if any of your tables have crashed and need repair.   :)

Check all the tables and then select "Check Tables" from the drop down box.
If a table shows as "crashed", select it and check "Repair".
Check all tables again and select "Optimize" from the drop down box.

See if this changes anything.
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

MentaL

Didn't work at all -- I previously checked all tables for errors and such.  Can't find a solution to the problem, so I re-did the entire forum.  What changes from this time is that I'm not deleting the 2-3 created Categories that the converter somehow came up with, just in case the same happens again.

I'm not sure how this works, and my issue still stands so I and more, can prevent it from happening in the future.

One thing that comes to mind is that I changed the database storage engine on all the tables from MyISAM to InnoDB, does that matter?
Any ideas?

Advertisement: