After a post, you're redirected back to the topics

Started by CanonRumors, July 20, 2010, 07:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanonRumors

Hey All

After a post is made on my forum, you're kicked back to the topics list and not back to the post.

Is this normal or is there a way to correct that?

Thanks
cr

Mick.

Quote from: CanonRumors on July 20, 2010, 07:35:43 PM
Hey All

After a post is made on my forum, you're kicked back to the topics list and not back to the post.

Is this normal or is there a way to correct that?

Thanks
cr

Go to profile--->look and layout---->Return to topics after posting by default

Have fun ;)

DarkflameQ

Is there anyway to make this the default setting for ALL users?

The majority of my users prefer to go back to their post instead of the topics page but the default is for topics page.

It would be nice to have a 'set default for all members' button for the admin to use in the final release of SMF 2.0.

I'm assuming in the mean time the only way to achieve this is to edit a php file?

rd

If I am not mistaken, this: Go to profile--->look and layout---->Return to topics after posting by default

Makes it auto default for everyone. 

DarkflameQ

Quote from: Royalduke on July 28, 2010, 07:26:52 AM
If I am not mistaken, this: Go to profile--->look and layout---->Return to topics after posting by default

Makes it auto default for everyone.

I'm the administrator of the site and i have the option enabled, but it isn't enabled for anyone else though.

In fact i had some many requests asking how to enable the feature on their accounts i had to make a screen shot guide for everyone to follow, lol

rd

There should be a theme setting, I'm not sure if there is but probably somewhere in: Admin CP - Themes - Theme Setting or something like that, worth a try (I'm on phone so I can't check).

DarkflameQ

Quote from: Royalduke on July 28, 2010, 07:32:00 AM
There should be a theme setting, I'm not sure if there is but probably somewhere in: Admin CP - Themes - Theme Setting or something like that, worth a try (I'm on phone so I can't check).

Yes you're absolutely correct, i just found it under Admin CP - Themes - Theme Setting - Member Options.

The only thing that appears to be missing is to set the time for everyone to their local time zones, i guess everyone will have to follow my guide on how to 'auto detect' their timezone.

Shame the forum doesn't automatically do this by default.

gbsothere

It works much the same way it does for 1.1.x.  Admin==> Current Theme==> Member Options==>Change Current Options For All Members Using This Theme.

Set the pulldown next to "Return to topics after posting by default" to Change.  Check the box and, below, save your changes. 

You can do this with any theme you have listed.    :)

EDIT:
I seem to have coincided my post with DarkFlameQ's but I'll leave it for others. 
(Re: Time Zones:  I believe auto-detect works in conjunction with the local machine from which the setting is made, so that would have to be an individual setting.)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

DarkflameQ

Fair enough, thank you ever so much for your prompt, accurate and helpful replies! :)

gbsothere

Quote from: DarkflameQ on July 28, 2010, 07:43:52 AM
Fair enough, thank you ever so much for your prompt, accurate and helpful replies! :)

You're very welcome!   ;)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

rd

DarkflameQ

That thank you was aimed at both of you :)

Before you go, one last quick question... what's the difference between the drop down menu and the tick box next to each other?

Do i have to select change and then confirm that change by ticking the box?

rd

I believe you have to tick the box to enable it. As I said, I am on phone so can't check but can you please tell me what tge tick box says? I'm pretty it's to make the setting default for everyone.

gbsothere

Quote from: DarkflameQ on July 28, 2010, 07:46:29 AM
That thankyou was aimed at both of you :)

Before you go, one last quick question... what's the difference between the drop down menu and the tick box next to each other?

*laughing at Royalduke*

The pull-down is a sort of safety net, I suppose.  One can't just indiscriminately check; the choice is made in conjunction with the pulldown's ensuring that you did, indeed, intend the change.  (It's the equivalent of the PM drop down asking if you're sure you want to delete something.)

Well, I've used "conjunction" twice, today.  One more time and I own that word.

DarkflameQ

Well i must say it is very fiddly changing those drop downs and confirming the tick boxes using a touch screen phone but i seem to have done it.

I'll get confirmation from my users and if there's any problems i'll let you know.

Thank you for your prompt replies, if only the authors of some SMF mods would respond back to me this quickly... ::)

IceXaos

Thanks for having this problem.  :P  Now I have them settings how I'd like.  I was never able to find them.

DarkflameQ

Quote from: IceXaos on July 28, 2010, 08:12:17 AM
Thanks for having this problem.  :P  Now I have them settings how I'd like.  I was never able to find them.

I've had the same problem, these settings appear to be toughest options to find in my book.

I've been tinkering with SMF 2.0 RC 2/3 for the last 5 months and just when i think i've seen / learned everything, i find another new menu, it's amazing!

It's clear to me that SMF is a work of art that has had many years of development put into it! ;)

Advertisement: