Anyone here working with CloudFlare/HoneyPot antibot software?

Started by Don Peters, July 21, 2010, 05:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busterone

Kind off topic, but related.  :)
Since you both are reading this topic, I want to place it here. I want to commend both of you snoopy_virtual and butchs for your work on preventing spam.
I have used Stop Spammer for a long time and was very satisfied. Recently the bots started changing their habits a bit, so I would get at least a dozen or more a week that I would have to manually approve or disapprove. I then added httpBL, and the Forum Firewall to the site. In the last 2 weeks, I have only had 2 that I had to manually reject. The combination has been great. The firewall has stopped quite a few dos attacks and other weird bot behaviors, and http_BL has redirected over 800 spambots in two weeks. Thank you both for your hard work.  :)

snoopy_virtual

You don't have also the Anti-Spam Questions activated?

Since I activated them in all my 7 forums 4 months ago I didn't have even one spammer registered in any of them yet.

That's the main reason why I haven't been too bother really updating mod Stop Spammer lately.  ;)

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

busterone

I did have the questions for a while, but it seemed a pain for real member registrants.  As of right now, I will leave it alone unless more start getting in later.  :)

butchs

I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: butchs on July 31, 2010, 08:54:34 PM
This mod should fix the IP addresses in the users online log files.  It works with 1.1.x and 2 RC3.

Plus, I added posting Server Side Excludes.

It will get put in the CloudFlare wiki next week.

How do I install this mod on SMF 1.1.13? Thanks.

grynmoors

I have been using Cloudflare since the Beta also. It's AWESOME. Get it!  They (Cloudflare) do have a module to put on the server, which you can put up or have your web host install for you so that you can get the real IP.

I'm on shared hosting and I had to do a little bit of begging to get them to install the module on the server, but they finally did it.

Scratching my Head

I have a couple of issues with CloudFlare. Most have been adressed here. Some have only been hinted at.
My major beef with CloudFlare is poor customer relations. They talk a great game, and where are they when
there is a technical question at four in the morning?

I disabled cloudflare finally. All the troubles they couldn't address got addressed when I moved back to my regular
webhosting provider. In effect, my web hosting provider would tell me, via telephone call because THEY are available
24 hours a day by telephone, that my site was not listed as being hosted with them but by CloudFlare, so I should ask CloudFlare my technical questions.

CloudFlare is not available by phone, and barely available by email.

For my money? CloudFlare is like the old Brick cell phones: a great idea, but not perfected. Your mileage may vary.

Gaming4JC

Any chance of an SMF 2.0RC5 update to the plugin? I tried running the old version, but that had a bit of trouble. :-P
*    4.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs.php    Test failed
      1.    Add After    ./Sources/Subs.php    Test failed

Illori

please use the proper support topic for that mod, this is not the right place.

butchs

I did not publish the mod at the SMF mod site.  It takes many months for one of my mods to get released.  It is not worth my effort.  Besides, the RC4 version works fine with RC5.

On the bottom right corner of package manager click "advanced" and set emulate version to "SMF 2.0 RC4".
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

justjim

We use CloudFlare, and have been very pleased.

@butchs
Thank you for your Mod to display IPs correctly, it works like a charm. We are using smf 1.1.13  :)

QuoteNo, I don't mean Google Analytics, but the Google adverts in the challenge page.
I have seen no ads in our challenge page. But We don't rely on Cloudflare's challenge page, we still use Recaptcha.

In total we have:

CloudFlare, ReCaptcha, StopForum Spam, and a light .htaccess file.

We are considering adding Forum Firewall and httpBL

I appreciate all of the developers of this kind of defensive software, since our site specilizes in removing malware from infected computers (for free). A little prevention cures a lot of problems

chrishicks

If a person uses this and decides they don't like it how hard is it to reverse everything and go back to the previous setup?

butchs

Just a few clicks then however long it takes the domain name to change.

chrishicks

Great, thanks for the quick reply. I grabbed your mod from the other page and want to try it out but was curious about the removal thing. By the way, I'm guessing you setup CF first then run the mod, is that correct?

EDIT: I forgot to ask one other thing. I register my main domain, does it cover all directories inside that?  I just started a Wordpress blog would it be taken care of as well or do I need to use the WP CF plugin? Sorry if these questions are a bit overkill I'm just getting all my ducks in a row before I dive in.

butchs

Yes.

Yes it will cover all your directories.  You will need both the WP and SMF plugin.

chrishicks

I'm hoping you may have an answer for this butchs(or anyone else possibly). I have the WP/CP plugin installed(installed it today) and everything is showing as fine except for the fact the blog site has horrible load times. I'm honestly not sure if it's due to CF or what as I wasn't on that section of the site yesterday but the day prior pages would load almost instantly. Now today however the page loads take around a minute. I'm looking around the CF help section now hoping to find something but I figured asking here might result in an optional help solution. Thanks.

butchs

CF uses cache to make your site faster.  Could be your host?  Ask CF.

Angie on Dialysis

is there a CloudFlare support forum?
Just wondering as I never knew about one but did try to find one. Any tech support I needed I just emailed Matthew
as I was beta testing it. I stopped using CloudFlare awhile back when all my members were being blocked. Turns out
my host didn't like how every member was seen as coming from the same IP range (CloudFlare) and decided to block
the whole range. I know a patch or mod or something came out but without my host's cooperation I decided that I was
fine using mod_httpbl, Stop Spammer, Bad Behavior Mod, and Anti-Spam Verification Questions.  I haven't had even one
spammer in months.

damoncloudflare

Hi Angie,

The url to contact CloudFlare can be found here: https://www.cloudflare.com/contact.html [nofollow]

There is a mod for SMF here: http://www.cloudflare.com/wiki/SMF [nofollow]

Angie on Dialysis

Advertisement: