News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SA Chat

Started by Diego Andrés, July 21, 2010, 10:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niko_Bellic

Lets say, there was only at max, 2 users that would have been logged in at any given time.
I'm not too certain how the mod behaves, on the checking for members being online, if that's a part of the same 30 second autor refresh or uses the SMF online function.
The chat bar has no effect from guests. Also, like I said, I did not set it to 30 seconds, it came default that way.

But, the main point is, that may cause some usage spikes, especially with the I/O, but it does not explain the huge spike in the Entry Processes every 11 hours.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Same. Had spikes with 0 users logged and heartbeat set to 30 seconds. Sorry but there is no way that this can be considered "normal", I had 3/4 users chatting with no issues and then I/O spikes with 0 users logged (nothing in raw access logs other than multiple non-sense requests from sachat at the same time, 10/20 GET actions to do nothing, with nobody logged in, causing the spikes).
And when uninstalled the resources got to flat line and running smooth since then. My apologies if this wasn't clear enough.

Regards
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Suki

I'm sorry but it kinda hard to believe what you are saying.  PHP cannot execute itself, it will always need something/someone who will trigger a request to the server, always, thats how PHP works, if there is no requests at all, PHP won't be executed.

logged in users are not the only ones who can trigger server requests, bots and guest can do so too.

If the mod shows to everyone info about people online or recently logged in or some other info, that can cause request and queries to the server too.

Again, it really depends on a bunch of factors, from your configuration to the number of request you are getting during x period of time.

If the mod has an option to not show info to guest then use that, whatever you can do to avoid unnecessary requests will help.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Niko_Bellic

Well, Suki, it's happening. Whether or not you believe it, it is.
Guests can not trigger the server requests for this mod, as they are unable to use it.
This mod is set to members only.

As stated before, as well as just now: Guests can not use this, as it's members only. I am unaware if can even set to allow guest, but if can, I would never use that feature, myself. That's just asking for spammers to open chats with people... LOL

Kindred

I also fail to believe that statement...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Niko_Bellic

You can believe what you want to, or not. Does not matter to me.
I know what I changed for settings, and what I did not.
I know what I saw in my server resource usage, and the huge spikes every 11 hours.
So, if you care not to believe, then that's on you. I have stated what happens, and how it was set, and that's that.

Suki

Quote from: Niko_Bellic on July 07, 2015, 07:36:10 PM
Well, Suki, it's happening. Whether or not you believe it, it is.
Guests can not trigger the server requests for this mod, as they are unable to use it.
This mod is set to members only.

You are still not listening to me. PHP cannot execute itself, there is no PHP script out there that can auto execute itself. Not this mod, not SMF not any other forum software based on PHP not any other generic PHP script.

Something NEEDS to trigger all those server request. Its not a matter of believing, its a fact.

You haven't provide any data, you haven't provide any access logs, it will be pretty difficult to determinate whats the cause of those pikes without any data from you.

Quote from: Niko_Bellic on July 07, 2015, 07:36:10 PM

As stated before, as well as just now: Guests can not use this, as it's members only. I am unaware if can even set to allow guest, but if can, I would never use that feature, myself. That's just asking for spammers to open chats with people... LOL

Ugh, no... thats NOT what I meant....  a chat has more actions than simply posting a message an show it back.  What I meant is that if this chat SHOWS info to guest, info such as the number of people chatting or other kind of info not really directing to posting a message, it will generate server requests and thus trigger those pikes.....

That was only a speculation though, and I can keep on speculating unless you provide some actual info and data.

So how about you quit been so dense about this and start acting helpful towards the people who are trying to actually help you?
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Niko_Bellic

Well, I for one, already stated the answer to your "if this chat SHOWS info to guest" as in it was set not to show for guests. As you even quoted!
If guests can not even see the bar, how are they going to see the number of people chatting?

Also, as I clearly stated before:

Quote from: Niko_Bellic on July 06, 2015, 04:32:28 PM
Lets say, there was only at max, 2 users that would have been logged in at any given time.

That means, even if guests, which max I ever had at one time, is 4, could see this, it would not account for the usage.

So, before you start throwing comments about being dense, look in the mirror!
No, I don't have the mod installed anymore, and the logs got replaced by newer ones without it.
With the GoDaddy cPanel, I'm unable to find the old ones, but maybe I can get them to email them to me. Surely, someone there should have the ability to get them... LOL

Suki

I'm sorry but you aren't being helpful. If you do not have a way to demonstrate all you have been saying, I cannot help you.

I have no idea how this chats operates, it was pure speculations and this is the third time I said it.

It seems you only want to keep on arguing instead of providing actual data, unless you can provide server access logs, there is no point in keep on discussing this.

Niko_Bellic

My whole point, was not an actual discussion, but more reporting the issue.
With what little I could provide, along with someone else having the same issue, I'd have thought it would be enough.

Kindred

except it's not enough to just SAY that it does this -- because it certainly does NOT do that for me on the 2 sites I have this installed on...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ninja ZX-10RR

First off, thanks Niko for your 3rd party POV, whoever you are.

As regards php and stuff... Yes, I was the only one on the site and the heartbeat was the only GET action, however, it was occasionally failing and leading the whole site to multiple (nearly a hundred) requests at the same time by sachat itself and many other things. The fact that since I uninstalled none of those issues happened not even once is enough of a proof to me to claim it doesn't work as expected, and the older version was even worse at that (so many calls that SMF said it was unable to connect to db).

Good luck with this mod, it has been banned by avalon webhost already. Ah yeah, another thing, it gets called even when disabled, since action=head is called regardless of setting it to disabled.

Cheers!
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

And yet again, claims with no logs....
Слaва
Украинi

SA™

QuoteAh yeah, another thing, it gets called even when disabled, since action=head is called regardless of setting it to disabled
that may be the case but that is just the jquery lib

ive actualy found the issue i think

Quoteif ($results && $smcFunc['db_num_rows']($results) != 0) {
      $context['JSON']['ids'] = array();
      while ($row = $smcFunc['db_fetch_assoc']($results)) {
               $context['JSON']['ids'][$row['id']] = $row['from'];

}
         $smcFunc['db_free_result']($results);
      }   

$smcFunc['db_free_result']($results);

needs to be outside the if statment
http://samods.github.io/SAChatBar/

Xbox Live: smokerthecheese 360 or xbone
My Work
Piano Movers / Delivery service
QuoteMy allies are dead.
I'm 'bout to be too.
Zombies are chasing me.
F*** it, I'm screwed -___-

Niko_Bellic

Hey! Nice find. :)
I hope it works, as this chat bar is kind of cool. :)
Please let know when update the package. :)

SA™

ok it is updated with that change

still not sure that was the issue but it would make sense at least to me

if there was no results/messages then the database would not get freed

My Work
QuoteMy allies are dead.
I'm 'bout to be too.
Zombies are chasing me.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Will be doing some testing, since I have always loved & supported the mod.
@Kindred I am not going to give you my site logs, really. You, like many others here, aren't exactly people I consider as trusted nor I'd like them to see such informations (especially on a public forum, in particular "this" one) nor keep arguing with you as you never see any other POV other than yours.
Either way, I have never complained about any modification for such an issue and one has already been discovered after me pointing it out, which is already enough.

Like I said, will do more testing. I'd like Avalon admin to lift the ban for this mod, if it improved or whatever. Will see :) Thanks for your concern Kindred and SA™ for the update!

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

forcecde

HIII
I install SAChatBar1.0a in my forum 2.0.10 and work but i cant see more user look the imagen

Can see the problem and have other problem.
Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/forumgigabox/www/sachat/index.php:23)
File: /home/forumgigabox/www/sachat/Sources/Subs.php
Line: 356

PD: sorry for my english

SA™

no  scroll bar on who online i see ill take a look when i have time

My Work
QuoteMy allies are dead.
I'm 'bout to be too.
Zombies are chasing me.

nend

On the load thing, you need a good server, no VPS or shared but a good server and fast connection. If your server can't respond fast enough then it's going to be playing catch up which may explain this situation. The request was made but the server is responding too slow that the receiver is already long gone.

I havent missed with this mod in awhile, but I believe the JavaScript has a wait in the request so there is also no way for the request to pile up. The server has to respond to the first request before the script can go on. However the request could constantly keep a load on the server if both conditions of speed are not met.

Like I stated haven't missed with the mod for awhile so allot of speculation from me.

Advertisement: