News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

SA Chat

Started by Diego Andrés, July 21, 2010, 10:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

villasg

Hi .
Installed without errors in my smf 2.0.10 ( utf8) but do not work .......

In SA Chat Test Page have
Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in xxxxxxxxxxxxxxlxx/sachat/Sources/Chat-Subs.php on line 176

Error logs
WARN  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at xxxxxxxxx/sachat/Sources/Chat-Subs.php:176)
FATAL Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1

Line 176 on Chat-Subs.php  are
$d = new \DateTime('@'.$value.'');

Any idea please ?

njtweb

Hi, wondering where I'm supposed to find the chat bar. I installed it on "Flatline" theme. No issues I'm aware of, I checked all of the config settings in SMF ACP, but I don't see the chat box bar.

http://www.minorleaguelegends.com/board/

Thanks for any instruction what to look for specifically.

njtweb

I have 2.0.10 or I guess the latest version SMF. Thank you

njtweb

WTF happened to the guy who responded?

Shambles

Quote from: njtweb
WTF happened to the guy who responded?

He was giving you a helpful hint that deleting the SMF Copyright from the foot of your forum would do you no favours.

Now you've taken the hint and reinstated it, his 'helpful hint' has been removed ;)

njtweb

Ok, I put it back because he said it was missing. I had it commented out but removed the edit so he could see it. Am I not allowed to do that?

Kindred

you are "allowed" to remove the copyright statement - legally.

However, by doing so, you are essentially stating that you do not need any assistance from Simple Machines and as such, we have chosen not to provide support to individuals who remove the copyright.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

villasg

Any idea for my error ?

Quote from: villasg on June 09, 2015, 03:12:44 PM
Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in xxxxxxxxxxxxxxlxx/sachat/Sources/Chat-Subs.php on line 176
WARN  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at xxxxxxxxx/sachat/Sources/Chat-Subs.php:176)

njtweb

Quote from: Kindred on June 12, 2015, 05:52:08 PM
you are "allowed" to remove the copyright statement - legally.

However, by doing so, you are essentially stating that you do not need any assistance from Simple Machines and as such, we have chosen not to provide support to individuals who remove the copyright.

Ok, guess I'll remove the plugin then. This was a waste of time. I put the copyright back and still get no instruction.

SA™

Quote from: villasg on June 13, 2015, 02:04:52 AM
Any idea for my error ?

Quote from: villasg on June 09, 2015, 03:12:44 PM

thanks for the reports ill try to fix this this week have a new version ready in testing

Quote from: njtweb on June 12, 2015, 01:36:07 PM
Hi, wondering where I'm supposed to find the chat bar. I installed it on "Flatline" theme. No issues I'm aware of, I checked all of the config settings in SMF ACP, but I don't see the chat box bar.

http://www.minorleaguelegends.com/board/

Thanks for any instruction what to look for specifically.

if you see no bar after install you just need to goto admin/sachat/maintenance/fix bar
it has been said many many times in this thread
http://samods.github.io/SAChatBar/

Xbox Live: smokerthecheese 360 or xbone
My Work
Piano Movers / Delivery service
QuoteMy allies are dead.
I'm 'bout to be too.
Zombies are chasing me.
F*** it, I'm screwed -___-

Burt

Hello there Sa™.. Thank you for working on this mod, much appreciated.

I installed and everything works fine on my SMF 2.0.10. Everything but one thing.  ;D

If I leave the option "Enable Group Permission" on (as ticked on) nobody get to see the chat bar. And Yes, I did set the permission right, but only the admin get to see the bar unless I unchecked the option mentioned above... Am I doing something wrong? Is it how is supposed to work. I mean, is the option to use Group Permission suppose to work or it has been removed? Also if the admin send a chat to a member, then he get to see the chat box where you can type, but still no chat bar...

Thank you

Burt
If you Sig. line is longer or higher than two line, you are just an attention seeker. Grow up!

Ninja ZX-10RR

I feel sorry about this but I need to publish it since it's not really a security issue, but it's definitely an extremely serious mod issue.

I had installed the mod a lot of time ago, supported it and even translated it. Now and only now I had time to do some serious testing. What I discovered from my tests is that every 11 hours the sachat mod clogs the server entirely by increasing the I/O usage to my limit (I am on a premium hosting, so it's above 1,5 MBps) and even the entry processes raise at least by 4.
The old version nearly had my account being banned by server admins for how much resource-heavy it used to be. I do NOT have experimental cache enabled, FYI.
All of this has been repeatedly tested and needs to be reported (even if I really dislike posting here it needs to be done).

Also, on another note, a quote from my server administrator.

Quote from: Avalon Administrator
Due to the high server resources unnecessarily being used by this mod, especially I/O issues and Entry Process issues that every 11 hours, spikes to 75% of what should, I think this mod should be removed from the SMF mod site, until it gets fully fixed.
As a server administrator, I have to make this call...
SA Chat mod for SMF, is hereby banned from Avalon Web Hosting, until they can prove it is fixed, and not going to stress servers.
If I see any account using it, the account will be suspended, until the owner agrees to remove the mod.

Avalon Administrator
http://www.avalonwh.com

Since I removed the mod I had FLAT line on all resources being used, even if I had no users on the site, so don't claim it was due to users spamming in chat or whatever... Nobody was using it and the heartbeat is above 30 seconds.
Do note, these tests were run on multiple smf installs on different servers.

Best regards, really hope I won't need to post ever again.

P.S.: sorry but I won't reply, no need to, either.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Niko_Bellic

Yes, I must agree with the above post.
My account on GoDaddy got suspended, due to the issues of this mod.
I'm now on the lookout for a replacement.

Kindred

Well, of course...   Any chat mod is going to drastically increase the server resource usage.   They are, overall, a bad option...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Niko_Bellic

Well, excuse me if I'm out of place, but other forum software and other CMS software, seems to have them, and not be this heavy.
This mod is really not fit for anyone to download and use. I'm not too certain this would be considered a security report issue, but I do know it is a server issue.
I am lucky I got things cleared up, and got my account reactivated. Otherwise, I'd be inclined to seek repayment from the mod maker, for my money lost on my hosting.

Suki

You can have a shoutbox/chat installed with no issues.

The issue comes from how you set up said chat, if you have it to make request every second then yes, it will mess up your server no doubt about it.

The mod by itself CANNOT auto-generate request to your server, it needs someone/something else to do it (this is the nature of PHP itself), meaning the mod alone CANNOT take down your server unless YOU told it to do it.

The mod does what it was told to do, if you set up the mod to autorefresh every second then yes, expect a high increase in your server resources.

You are basically complained about something you told the mod to do, an analogy would be something like having a dog and them complaining about your dog being a dog...

The PHP/Chat combination just doesn't fit together, specially in a shared hosting. PHP by its own nature cannot realistically perform real time conversations in an efficient way.

So either you configure your chat to not get auto-refreshed every x seconds or find an alternative thats suitable for realtime conversations.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Kindred

Additionally, please note:

Although our best mod authors do endeavor to support their mods:
All mods are provided AS IS and the admin/user accepts all the risks of installing said mod.
The mod authors bear NO responsibility, monetary or otherwise for "damage" to a site or downtime.

(in other words, you installed a mod which took down your site?   That is not the fault of the mod author and you have no claim to "seek repayment" from the author of an open source and free mod.)
Слaва
Украинi

njtweb

Quote from: NikoBellic on July 06, 2015, 01:19:02 AM
Well, excuse me if I'm out of place, but other forum software and other CMS software, seems to have them, and not be this heavy.
This mod is really not fit for anyone to download and use. I'm not too certain this would be considered a security report issue, but I do know it is a server issue.
I am lucky I got things cleared up, and got my account reactivated. Otherwise, I'd be inclined to seek repayment from the mod maker, for my money lost on my hosting.

That's funny, you're using a free script and free plugins at your own risk.

Niko_Bellic

Quote from: Suki on July 06, 2015, 10:35:59 AM
The mod does what it was told to do, if you set up the mod to autorefresh every second then yes, expect a high increase in your server resources.

You are basically complained about something you told the mod to do, an analogy would be something like having a dog and them complaining about your dog being a dog...

I'm sorry, but here, you are mistaken.
I did not set it to auto refresh every second.
In fact, default settings is set for 30 seconds, and I had not touched that.
However, the auto refresh is not what is causing the huge spike every 11 hours, that has been mentioned.

Suki

It was only a reference, it does not matter if you set it up to 1, 30 or 120 seconds.  Thats no the point. The point is that any number of substantial request to your server is going to have an effect.

You haven't provide more data so I can only speculate and giving you aprox data.

You say you have the mod at 30 seconds, thats 2 per minute, 120 per hour.
Lets assume you have anything between 10 and 15 users at any given time during a one hour period.

10 users will generate 20 request per minute.
15 users will generate 30 request per minute.

Let us assume those 10 to 15 users, each visits your site an average of 2 times per hour.

20 request per minute per 2 times every hour will give you 40 request per hour.
30 request per minute per 2 times every hour will give you 60 request per hour.

Now, these are pretty low numbers and as you can see, the number of request can only grow exponentially.  Kinda like "the butterfly effect".  You might think its relatively harmless to set your chat to 30 seconds refresh but in the end those 30 seconds will be turned into hundreds of requests to your server from this mod only, I'm not even counting your forum's regular server request.

So, it is futile to say "but I'm only setting up to 30 seconds".
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Advertisement: