News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

What is "Visibility"

Started by Melissa524, July 24, 2010, 12:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melissa524

Okay, I have scanned the boards and still haven't found the answer.  What is the Visibility drop down box in  SMF 2.0 RC3 under membergroup edit?  What does it do?
In case, I forget to say.  I am using 2.0.2

Kill Em All

Visible-The group is shown to everyone publicly everywhere on your forum, such as posts, memberlist
Visible Except in group key- same as visible except it the group won't be shown in the group key
Invisible- no one except administrators can see the membergroup. only administrators will see it.

Does that hopefully clear things up?

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Melissa524

Group Key is the color coded links in the bottom right?  Sorry, I a bit of a newbie with this software.
In case, I forget to say.  I am using 2.0.2

Kill Em All

Yep, thats correct. And no problem, we all start out somewhere. And atleast you ask and want to learn. :)

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

anidea

Quote from: Kill Em All on July 24, 2010, 12:31:03 AM
Visible-The group is shown to everyone publicly everywhere on your forum, such as posts, memberlist
Visible Except in group key- same as visible except it the group won't be shown in the group key
Invisible- no one except administrators can see the membergroup. only administrators will see it.

Does that hopefully clear things up?

Hi, I have the same question:

When you say visibility, is it whether the *member* is visible?  or is it whether the *membergroup* designation is visible?

I'm a bit confused.  The popup makes it more confusing.

What I'm trying to do is create a membergroup so that we can moderate the posts of certain members.  They've received multiple warnings, and we need a way to let them back but under moderation.

Is there a different way to do this?

Kill Em All

Why don't you just use the warning system built into SMF?
Admin>Core Features>Warning System>Power on>Save>then click on the Warning System text(this should now be linked).

You can configure it there.

anidea

Quote from: Kill Em All on October 03, 2010, 05:47:30 PM
Why don't you just use the warning system built into SMF?
Admin>Core Features>Warning System>Power on>Save>then click on the Warning System text(this should now be linked).

You can configure it there.

But wouldn't the warning system create a message to the user that they're being warned about bad behavior?

These people are very sensitive and there is a flame war going on, and the three moderators (me included) are being called dictators.  It's pretty awful.

There is one member who was put on warning who has promised good behavior, but we don't trust her yet...so I want to 1. moderate her posts, and 2. hide a part of the forum that is causing her problems, so that she isn't tempted to flame people anymore.  And without making it seem punitive.

Kill Em All

It can, but you can also just select to not send the user a warning if you choose not to. And you can hide the warning or watched sign next to their profile by them, but if you want to approve all their posts first before they show, they are obviously going to know about that.

anidea

Quote from: Kill Em All on October 03, 2010, 06:29:51 PM
It can, but you can also just select to not send the user a warning if you choose not to. And you can hide the warning or watched sign next to their profile by them, but if you want to approve all their posts first before they show, they are obviously going to know about that.

That may actually work. 

Now I'm wondering if there's also a way to restrict which forums they can view along with this.  The problem with creating a separate membergroup is now they're asking why so and so has Membergroup-1 next to their name lolololol

I swear...This job sucks sometimes.

Thank you, KMA, for your responses.  Although I might take the advice of your name and just kill 'em all...  :P

Kill Em All

haha, just don't list me as an accomplice and I won't tell anyone. ;)

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Advertisement: