Content not appearing

Started by PurpleCrow, July 25, 2010, 12:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleCrow

I'm having some problems with posts - sometimes the content disappears completely. For example someone posted a new thread yesterday and now the content has completely gone, the post is blank. I know for certain that they havent edited out the content btw.

I have no idea whats causing it but its (obviously) very frustrating!
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

Forums Galore, a brand new Admin Forum is looking for staff to help with the launch. Send me a PM or sign up to Forums Galore if you're interested!

Add your forum to the Forums Galore Community Showcase

PurpleCrow

Still having issues with this.
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

Forums Galore, a brand new Admin Forum is looking for staff to help with the launch. Send me a PM or sign up to Forums Galore if you're interested!

PurpleCrow

I dont think so, there are errors in there but they dont seem to be anything but a few broken images from what I can tell.
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

xenovanis

Do you happen to know what the content was? Is the post still stored in the database?

What is phpMyAdmin?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

PurpleCrow

I know what some of it was as some have been my own posts. I'll see if they are still in the database.
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

PurpleCrow

Stupid question - how do I view the content of a thread/post in phpMyAdmin?
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

gbsothere

PurpleCrow, may I just ask this, since I'm tracking a very similar issue for another user?

If you go to one of the blank posts and click "Modify" do you see content there (to be modified) or is that area blank, as well?

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

xenovanis

In phpMyAdmin, select the database used for your forum. Open (browse) the smf_messages table and search for the matching id_msg of the post.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

PurpleCrow

Ask anything, I need this to be sorted as obviously on a discussion forum is a big issue ;D

No, there isnt any content there when I click edit. When I had the WYSIWYG editor turned on, parts of the content would disappear but still be there if I clicked modify.
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

gbsothere

Quote from: PurpleCrow on July 27, 2010, 04:54:29 PM
Ask anything, I need this to be sorted as obviously on a discussion forum is a big issue ;D

No, there isnt any content there when I click edit. When I had the WYSIWYG editor turned on, parts of the content would disappear but still be there if I clicked modify.

Thanks for that.   :)

My user (admin) has content there when clicking to modify, but the posts, themselves, don't show up on the thread.  I don't want to interrupt what xenovanis is helping you with, so I'm going to ease along but, later, if you wouldn't mind listing your mods, I'd like to see if the two of you have any in common (especially that are recent additions). 

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

PurpleCrow

Quote from: xenovanis on July 27, 2010, 04:52:45 PM
In phpMyAdmin, select the database used for your forum. Open (browse) the smf_messages table and search for the matching id_msg of the post.

Thanks, I was looking at the thread bit not the message bit.

The content is still in the database. The full post is there.
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

cicka

Quote from: PurpleCrow on July 27, 2010, 05:00:31 PM
Quote from: xenovanis on July 27, 2010, 04:52:45 PM

Thanks, I was looking at the thread bit not the message bit.

The content is still in the database. The full post is there.

When did this start to happen? Did you install any add ons before you noticed this issue?

xenovanis

And, in addition, have you tried the Find and Repair any errors task in Admin -> Forum Maintenance?

PurpleCrow

I only noticed it the other day, I was having a similar problem a few weeks ago where posts werent appearing but when you clicked edited they were in the text box. This started happening when I turned ON the WYSIWYG editor. So, I turned it off and we didnt have any issues for a while, now posts are completely dissappearing.
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

PurpleCrow

Quote from: xenovanis on July 27, 2010, 05:04:25 PM
And, in addition, have you tried the Find and Repair any errors task in Admin -> Forum Maintenance?

Yeah a few times (was my first idea) but it didnt find any errors except for a missing PM (I assume its the one I deleted via phpMyAdmin).
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

gbsothere

Quote from: PurpleCrow on July 27, 2010, 05:08:49 PM
I only noticed it the other day, I was having a similar problem a few weeks ago where posts werent appearing but when you clicked edited they were in the text box. This started happening when I turned ON the WYSIWYG editor. So, I turned it off and we didnt have any issues for a while, now posts are completely dissappearing.

Ironically, I just logged into the admin account on the other user's forum and turned on WYSIWYG and my post appeared (to me as an admin, as a guest, as a newbie).  Without it, nothing shows up.  :-\

PurpleCrow

I've turned it back on but those posts still arent appearing. Just thought I would check.
SMF 2.0 RC3

Looking for staff!

gbsothere

Quote from: PurpleCrow on July 27, 2010, 05:22:34 PM
I've turned it back on but those posts still arent appearing. Just thought I would check.

PurpleCrow, I just followed Slammed Dime's advice on my issue and it solved it.  I uploaded a fresh Display.template.php and, upon discovering that all the user's posts were back, I went by her list of mods and just added the edits back in.  Things are back to normal.  I guess it had just become corrupted or botched.  I still don't understand the WYSIWYG thing, but maybe worth a try?

Advertisement: