News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Questions about boards, themes and posts

Started by Watchmanz, July 25, 2010, 01:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watchmanz

Hi everyone, I have three questions with which I hope someone may be able to help me out - one about boards, one about themes, and one about posts (I try to save them all up so I'm not posting multiple times LOL).

I am using a brand new installation of SMF 2.0 RC3. It works perfectly - my questions are not about needing help with installation etc but rather how to make the software do something that it doesn't appear is standard.

BOARDS
======
I want to create a forum board that works as a category. For example, say I have a category called "Category A" and under that I have a forum board called "forum A". But I want "forum A" to have to child boards and nobody should be able to post in the "forum A' board. I've tried to see if I can just change permissions for that board but I can't work out how to do it precisely. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

THEMES
======
I understand how to apply a specific theme to a specific forum board but I want to apply a specific theme to a category. At the moment I have all boards in a certain category using one theme exclusive to that area of the site. But if a user clicks on the category heading it still shows in the default site theme. Is there a way I can make a certain category, when clicked, show in a defined theme?

When a new post or reply is entered the forum defaults back to the topic list in the appropriate forum. That's not too helpful if you want to double check your post appearance etc. I would like my site to default back to what you posted after you post it. Is there a setting to make it do that, or would this be some sort of hack?

Thanks as always for any advice or assistance.

kat

I'm not sure I understand the first question. :(

2-If you "Modify boards", you can select a specific theme for that board. If you want every board in a category to be the same, you'll have to do that for each board in the category, I believe. You might want to make that setting overrule member's theme settings, too.

3-You can do that in your profile. If you want it to apply to everyone, you can do it in admin>current theme>Member Options.

You'll need to do that for each theme.

Watchmanz

Thanks for the advice, will elaborate below:

1 - Imagine I have a site with the following category/boards/child boards etc

CATEGORY A
     |
     |
     ------- FORUM B
                    |
                    |-------- FORUM C
                    |
                    --------- FORUM D

I want to make sure that nobody can actually post in Forum B (in effect, it acts like a sub-category to Category A)

2 - Thanks for that - I have applied a theme to all of the BOARDS and overridden the member's theme settings. The problem is that if you click on the CATEGORY in which these boards reside, it shows in the site default theme, not the theme applying to the BOARDS within that category.

3 - Yes, I want it to apply to everyone. Have tried looking through the member options for the themes but can't quite see where to change it.

kat

So, boards C and D would be child boards of board B, yeah?

Won't the normal Board permissions cover that?

Watchmanz

Yes, boards C and D would be child boards of board B. Ok, I think that's the answer - change the permissions in board B. I hadn't thought of that (am used to IPB which allows you set a forum board to act like a category and allowing no posts, which is why I asked the question). Thanks.

kat

Pleasure!

I'll mark this as "Solved", for now.

If you need any more help, with this, just mark it back to "Unsolved" and carry on. ;)

Watchmanz

Could I get some advice regarding questions 2 and 3 please? (sorry to be a pain in the .....)

2 - Thanks for that - I have applied a theme to all of the BOARDS and overridden the member's theme settings. The problem is that if you click on the CATEGORY in which these boards reside, it shows in the site default theme, not the theme applying to the BOARDS within that category.

3 - Yes, I want it to apply to everyone. Have tried looking through the member options for the themes but can't quite see where to change it.

kat

2-Hmmmm.... I don't think you can change that, unless there's a mod that does that.

3-Under "Member options", you need to click on "Change current options for all members using this theme", under the name of the theme.

Watchmanz

Thanks so much K@

Shame about question 2 but ... oh well .....

kat

Two out of three ain't bad. ;)

As I said, there may be a mod for what you want.

I don't remember seeing one. But, that certainly doesn't mean there isn't one.

Advertisement: