Installing mods. Errors. Bugs. Should install manually instead? Why? No?

Started by frozenas, July 26, 2010, 10:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frozenas

Hi everyone. I used to install a lot of mods in PHPbb, when i was setting it up... I was so pissed, that they don't have a good and bugs free install system... Edit every file, etc... Especially on big plugins. I've read, that SMF have a feature to install plugins. I was very happy *Yay, damn phpbb, smf's cool, i will get it ready in a day!* i though. But now, when i have to install about 40-50 plugins, since most of the features are not implemented, which is good for the users, that don't want that, you have to install a lot of plugins, if you want a customized board. I basically want to IPB stylize SMF. More javascript and Ajax... More nice looks and everything like that. features. So i total have around 40-50 plugins to install. I have installed them on a few fresh copies of smf board, since they were bugging, when i was installing them alone, to see how they are working. Which means i cannot install them using the installer all. And IF i install some plugin after some plugin (Yea. imagine how many tris would be to determine that, a few good days trying which bugs, which not), the board is not revertibly ruined and you have to reinstall it again. So anyway here is my question:

Is there any other good way of installing plugins or knowing, that they won't be bugging with each other, when you have that amount of plugins to install? Or i should just be pissed and install like i used to do in phpbb? Also, if yes, is there any nice way to look which files and where to edit? Xml files isn't so nice over there... Just plain code.

CapadY

The package installer is using the DEFAULT SMF code to find where to make modifications.
The more MOD's you have installed, the more is the change the installer can't find the DEFAULT code because this DEFAULT code is already modified by antoher MOD

So, the more MOD's you have installed, yhe more change the modifications can't be made automaticly.

What about viewing teh code that should bet edit, at every MOD downloadpage is a button to use the MOD parser. Herewith is exactly shown which file you have to edit, what you can use as Search string to find the location in the file and what code should be replaced.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Advertisement: