censoring tool not working when BBC inside a word

Started by flapjack, July 27, 2010, 02:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flapjack

censoring tool are not stripping the text of the extra BBC, therefore something like this below may be used to trick the censor tool:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=392879.msg2720072#msg2720072

gbsothere

Just a comment...   I've been able to do that on any forum I've ever been a member of.   I'm not saying I condone this, but I've always been able to do it.    :)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Norv

Hah, you were using it? :D

It looks like a bug to me.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Nibogo

That doesn't sounds like a bug for me, following that logic @sshole, a.sshole, a-sshole, ass/hole, [a]sshole all of them should be censored and we know that do it isn't possible, I think we should limit it to just the word no other tricks

albert1

This is a bug, I'm having to ban people on my forums because they are posting censored URLs and it gets quite annoying.

flapjack

Quote from: albert1 on July 28, 2010, 03:25:21 AM
This is a bug, I'm having to ban people on my forums because they are posting censored URLs and it gets quite annoying.
it will not work with urls, because you are wrapping it inside another bbc tag, which will break the censor tool. but I agree, that this is some sort of a bug, don't have the idea to what extend it should be fixed

SN

Quote from: gbsothere on July 27, 2010, 04:43:01 PM
Just a comment...   I've been able to do that on any forum I've ever been a member of.   I'm not saying I condone this, but I've always been able to do it.    :)

Me to.... doing that gets pass all censors on any forum software. I use it on other forums

albert1

it will not work with urls, because you are wrapping it inside another bbc tag, which will break the censor tool. but I agree, that this is some sort of a bug, don't have the idea to what extend it should be fixed
The problem is people on my forums don't use the URL BBC Tag :(

Nibogo

Quote from: SN on July 28, 2010, 04:30:14 AM
Quote from: gbsothere on July 27, 2010, 04:43:01 PM

Me to.... doing that gets pass all censors on any forum software. I use it on other forums

You're right, because as I said we can't censor all possible variations of a word it would be a waste of resources in somethings that can be easily avoided

Joshua Dickerson

I don't think we're going to fix this one. I can't think of a way that we could reliably chase down all of the ways that a person could get around the censor. Like banning, censoring only stops the people that allow themselves to be stopped.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

emanuele

I tend to agree that it's not entirely a bug (at least the censor part), but it wouldn't hurt to strip empty (known) tags maybe...how obtain it and if it makes sense, it's another problem... :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

On the one hand, there are plenty of tools for dealing with miscreants that deliberately seek to evade censoring, like warnings and bannings.

On the other, we could strip empty known tags during posting, because unknown tags won't be parsed. But it's hard to know whether to strip tags automatically so it would just be a case of looking for tags that are empty that ordinarily shouldn't be and stripping them. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing in any case.

Advertisement: